Do you agree with the Supreme Court's rulings on DOMA and Prop 8?

Asked by: chrumbelievable
  • Yes, they were in the right.

The laws were solely around just as a form of discrimination. No heterosexual, no Christian, no child...No one is harmed by the legalization of gay marriage. Yet, gays and lesbians are harmed by the prohibition of it. So, if the heterosexual and Christian majority are not harmed but gays are, why would it be a fair?

To Christians who may be concerned: It doesn't hurt your faith...Unless your faith is weak.

• Marriage Equality FTW

I don't necessarily support the State being involved with marriage, but I do support marriage equality so long as the State IS involved. There is no reason to exclude homosexual couples in particular from the benefits and protections of legal marriage recognition. This is the most fair outcome outside of scrapping legal marriage all-together.

• If you believe in the Constitution, then you agree with their rulings

The Equal Protection Clause of the United States Constitution guarantees all U.S. Citizens the right to equal protection under the law. The Defense of Marriage Act defines marriage as between a man and a woman, and therefore was used to deny same-sex couples the same federal benefits as heterosexual couples. How is DOMA NOT unconstitutional? By definition, it excludes a section of the legally married population from the same protections as the rest. This should have been an easy ruling, and while I'm bitter that it took the Supreme Court to rule, I'm glad they did so the logical way.

• This is long overdue.

Laws about marriage go far beyond "morality" and culture into the specific sets of benefits that marriage confers. Married people are granted rights that extend into how they are allowed to own property, how they pay taxes, who is allowed to visit them in the hospital, how they pay for healthcare in the first place. To deny a group of people the right to choose whatever partner they want for these endeavors is discriminatory and unconstitutional.

• It was necessary to rule that way

DOMA and Prop 8 gives more power to those already in power. It creates a vision for the future. For that matter, it is important to maintain that placement for many people in power. It would have been hard to have argued against DOMA and Prop 8 in the first place.

• Yes, there should be legalized gay marriage.

What this society needs is more stability, not less. So if two consenting adults love each other and want to be family to each other, they should of course be allowed to marry. It has become accepted in the wider society and so should not cause any problem for most thinking people.

• Yes I do.

I do agree with the Supreme Court's rulings on DOMA and Prop 8. If the Supreme Court has made a ruling on it, then everyone should accept it. The Supreme Court is not affect by political bias or anything else, so anything that they agree on is the way is should be.

• Yes... I agree with the Supreme Court's ruling but I believe they fell short of legalizing same sex marriage throughout the nation

Yes I agree with the ruling of the Supreme Court on DOMA and Prop Eight but feel they could have legalized same sex marriage throughout the nation with this case . By not doing so they have opened up the playing field to any State or Person to challenge their ruling when they could have prevented this by just legalizing same sex marriage for any couple in any State and granting same sex marriage rights from the federal government.

• The Unconstitutionality of Unequal Federal Recognition

DOMA is predicated on the narrow minded conceptions of what counts as marriage - a nod to religious doctrine that violates the Establishment Clause. If we were to claim that the legal interest in state-sanctioned marriage is organization and procreation then only child-rearing families should receive benefits. The unconstitutionality lies in the "inherent" unequal treatment of certain marriages which comes from nothing but prejudice.

• I guess in this day and age nobody should bother voting.

President Barack Obama issued a statement Wednesday applauding the Supreme Court's striking down of the Defense of Marriage Act, which he called "discrimination enshrined in law."

He describes DOMA as "discrimination enshrined in law", yet strangely he strongly supports Affirmative Action which is "discrimination enshrined in law." Were it not for Affirmative Action this dolt never would have been accepted into Harvard.

Will the Idiot in Chief EVER be consistent in his arguments?

• No, this should not be a decision decided by anyone other than the people.

The State should not be involved to any extent in the matter of marriage. Although I support gay marriage, I do not approve of the government making decisions not relating to the preservation of the nation. In no way, shape or form should the marriage between two people impact the government nor their proceedings. The State should not be involved in the matters of love.

• I do not agree with the rulings on DOMA and Prop 8.

I do not agree with the rulings on DOMA and Prop 8. I do not trust the government to be able to make any serious decisions. When they are forced to actually make a serious decision they go on vacation a little while and shut down the government. I am surprised that they can even decide what they want for lunch everyday.

• No, it is not unconstitutional.

No, I do not agree with the Supreme Court's rulings on DOMA and Proposition 8, because it is not unconstitutional to keep marriage between a man and a woman. When the constitution was drafted, marriage was between a man and a woman, and it was not unconstitutional to treat it that way. The founders did not intend for the constitution to be so twisted.