Do you believe children under ten years of age should be forced to participate in sports?

• Yes children should be forced to do at least some sort of physical activity

Sports or physical activities allow children to enjoy exercising and staying healthy. It also can bring them a sense of accomplishment as they continue to get better and achieve more. It allows you to make friends very easy as well and develop social skills. I suggest making them do at least one sport for a couple years then letting them decide.

• Yes they should play sports

In my part of the world, sport at school is compulsory from Primary (Elementary) school to High School, so the question is moot anyway.

I agree kids should play sports. There is a large variety of sports, and they should be encouraged to find one they enjoy. Frankly, there is an obesity epidemic, and unhealthy kids become unhealthy adults. Plus, sports gives you multiple other advantages. It teaches:

-teamwork and co operative play (for group activities e.g. soccer)
    -endurance, stamina and perseverance (for lone, repetitive activities such as running)
    -encouraging being competitive
    -benefits of health, and hopefully this will pique their interest into healthy eating habits - as they learn that whatever calories they eat have to be burned off!

• Kids should play sport.

Kids need to keep fit and not be unhealthy otherwise they will end up fat and chubby especially if they eat junk food. Kids also have to try new things because before they do something they might hate it but after they try it they may love it and want to do it more often.

• No, children under 10 should not be forced to play sports.

I do not think that children under the age of ten should be forced to play any type of sports. I think that parents should allow their kids to play sports if that's what the kids want, but it shouldn't be mandatory. I think that it is important however to let kids participate in exercise.

• No they shouldn't they become obsessed.

Kids who start sports early tend to (from my experience only) almost hero worship sports. If you don't like sports or you don't play sports later in life when popularity starts to be a ting and kids are only friends with others for specific reasons. If you don't play or like sports your opinion is worthless. You are automatically worth less than the people who do play sports and you start to feel left out because you don't enjoy what the majority of kids are obsessed with. I say from personal experience that being the odd man (or woman) out is not a great time and I have lost plenty of childhood friends because of this obsession.

• They Become Obsessed

• No, children should not be forced to participate in sports.

Children should not be forced to participate in sports at any point in time. Forcing a child to do something usually makes them not want to do it. They should encourage kids to get physical exercise but not necessarily force them to play a sport. Force is not an answer to a problem in most cases.

• Not forced, no.

I do think sports are good for kids, because it gives them a big challenge and helps them develop neurophysically, but I would not force kid into it. I would suggest sports to them, because of the work ethic it builds, but no definitely never force a kid to play a sport.

• No, I don't think children under the age of ten should be required to participate in sports.

While sports does develop teamwork skills in a child I think there are other ways to achieve the same benefit that does not required a child to participate in sports, some children have no desire to play a sport and would be resentful that they are being required to do so.

• Not Outside of PE

Children in elementary school are often exposed to sports during physical education which is part of the topics covered in American public schools. I believe all children should be forced to participate in physical education class. I do not think they should be forced into playing sports outside of a school setting.