• Yes, I believe

Opposing stem cell research, I would say, is like opposing trash furnaces because it burns trash. The stem cells commonly used are ones that are marked for medical waste. You’re not killing a baby or even a potential baby, you’re recycling medical waste to benefit humanity. My opinion is that the same amount or more people will still die from diseases and viruses without stem cell research, will it, it may end in finding cures for things resulting in a gain in lives saved. Hence, I am for stem cell research and society should accept stem cells as stem cells save many lives having the remarkable potential to develop into many different cell types in the body. Serving as a sort of repair system for the body, they can theoretically divide without limit to replenish other cells as long as the person or animal is still alive. When a stem cell divides, each new cell has the potential to either remain a stem cell or become another type of cell with a more specialized function, such as a muscle cell, a red blood cell, or a brain cell.

• Embryonic Stem Cells have a far greater potential than adult stem cells.

When an embryo is a few days old it contains pluripotent cells. These cells have the potential of becoming 220 different cell types that are found in the human body. Whereas adult stem cells have a limit to the types of cells they can differentiate into. Many people believe that the use of embryonic stem cells is ethically wrong because it is basically murdering a human/potential human, have not first understood that there are people in the world who are already suffering and dying, and the embryo doesn't even need to be fertilized. If you were in a car accident and severed your spinal cord would your view on this topic miraculously differ?

• I believe in embryonic stem cell research if embryos are not grown to harvest stem cells

As long as embryos are not being grown for the sake of embryonic stem cell harvesting, I support this. There is something inherently disgusting in the idea of harvesting them from embryos being grown for this purpose. However if stem cells were taken from aborted embryos, this would not be a problem for me.

• Yes, I believe

• No, I do not support embryonic cell research.

I personally don't support embryonic cell research for various reasons. One of the main reasons is that it destroys human life. Another reason is the danger--stem cells of any kind may reproduce uncontrollably, and uncontrollable cell division can lead to cancer (hyperplasia). However, a more important reason is that stem cells may be more likely to work if they are one's own stem cells. This is less likely to be controversial, since adult stem cells can potentially be changed to be pluripotent and thus work like embryonic stem cells.