Do you believe in god? At what age and why did you start believing, stop believing or never believe?

Asked by: unfortunate
  • Could never believe differently

I have believed in God from a young age and cannot believe any different. It goes against reason to state there is no God. There is a God who is transcendent, but has also intervened in the world of men and women for their salvation. Even when I doubted that there could be God because of adversity, it has always been obvious to me that there is a God who is great.

• Yes I do and that changed my life

I was taught about God since I was a child, but I was always free to believe or not.
    I chose to believe that He is my Savior and King. I didn't make that choice based on what my parents told me which they heard from their parents which was passed to them for thousands of years... I would have to be a complete idiot to believe that. I made that choice based on what I experienced. I made that choice after God filled me with joy. I made that choice after God changed my life.
    I don't ask you to believe what I say, but if you believe that God doesn't exist try this, tell Him that you believe that He doesn't exist and ask Him to show you if He exists. It will just be between you yourself... Or between you and God. You have nothing to lose. :)

• I believe there is only ONE God

Everything has a creator and in my opinion, God created everything!
    Now, many of you can argue that if God created everything who created God?
    God always existed! He was never created! If God was created, his creator would be the God, not him! God always existed and always will!

Well, I didn't believe in God until I was eight! But the more I thought about it, I realized God did exist!

• I believe in The God and The Goddess, so... Yeah. (I DO NOT in any way believe in the Christian God)

My family was as Catholic as it could be, I have three nuns as aunts and one priest as an uncle. My dad came from Ireland, and my mother from Puerto Rico. (Both VERY Catholic places) We went to mass every Sunday; my entire family was devout. My grandmother kept a giant, beautiful bible on her nightstand, and she would read me stories from it. That's when I started having the nightmares. I was extremely confused because sometimes she would tell me an new testament story about Jesus and forgiveness and that sounded really nice. But then she would tell me old testament stories about a vengeful god drowning an entire planet of people, slaughtering those who did not follow him. That didn't seem forgiving to me. So, I grew up thinking that God was the biggest hypocrite ever. Finally, when I got older, I noticed all the other little cracks in Christianity, how the bible talked about the right way to treat your slaves and your women. The bible is VERY sexist, and SLAVES? I'm sorry, but I could not follow a religion that condoned slavery. I get that slaves were common when the bible was written, but that just means that religions are supposed to change and mold over time. I live in a developed country, where thankfully, men and women are created equal, and there are no slaves. This clearly wasn't the religion for me. Oh, and there was one more factor that drove me out of Catholicism, the creationists. Don't get me STARTED on them! (See, people in general irritate me, and I can't be near a creationist for more than five minutes before ripping their head off. So it was really for their own safety that I rejected Christianity.) You may be saying "well you don't belong in the yes column" but I do! Because I believe in both the god and the goddess. :) I happen to be an eclectic witch, and what I love about Wicca is that both men AND women can be divine. (Well a man and a woman.) And another thing I don't like about Christianity, they blame all their problems on the devil. "The devil led me down that path, the devil led him down this path." It's your problem take responsibility! And the devil is supposed to represent all of evil in this world while god is supposed to represent all good, but life doesn't work like that. It's too black and white! Life is gray (except for black holes;those are just black) What I like about Wicca is that it acknowledges that. The God and Goddess give life just as much as they take it away, and everything you do wrong was caused by YOU not them!
    I know that there is absolutely no proof supporting any gods or goddesses being up there, and I'm not about to question science, it's just... I have been so incredibly lucky all my life, I need to thank someone.

• I always have

For as long as I can remember I believed in God. When I was in Primary school we had religious education in all public schools for 30 minutes a week. But also my parents would teach me about God.

I have never had a time in my life when I did not believe. But when I got older, like in my mid 20's, my faith got stronger.

As a child we believed what we were taught but as an adult I did much research and study to support the things I believed and my beliefs grew in strength.

• I believe he exist only

I don't follow any religion but I believe God exist and I sometimes think he is a dark God, I mean if your all knowing and know we would rebel, you still would punish us when you knew it would happen. It
    Also sounds like he created evil since Satan was obviously an angel before he fell. But hey maybe I'm wrong, maybe I'm right, who knows...

• A work of God needed to produce faith

When Peter declared "thou art the Christ the Son of God" Christ said "flesh and blood hath not revealed it to you but my Father in heaven" A person must have a work of God in his life before he can come to faith in Christ. I am very thankful God has worked in my life to produce faith.

• I converted to Orthodox Christianity at age 13. My choice.

I was raised in a pretty open family in regards to religion. I didn't believe in God at all until I was 11 or 12. When I was in middle school, I began to search for something to believe in. I began to realize that, when I opened my mind to the possibility of God existing, I saw God in my life, working things out just perfectly. I came to believe in God not because anyone forced me to, but because I searched for God and I began to see glimpses of hope in hopeless places, love in places of hatred. Little miracles every day. God is waiting for you. He hasn't forgotten.

• Believing in God doesn't require a belief in any religion

I believe in God and I think always have. But, I do not hold onto any specific religion or faith in the stories in the Bible. Of course, no one can prove the existence of God...But belief doesn't require proof. I believe that there was a first cause...And I call that first cause "God". For my own selfish reasons, I even believe that within that first cause, God, a chain of events began which encompass a "Universal Good". It is the core of my belief that "everything happens for a reason". In straight forward terms, no one can deny that. Of course everything happens for a reason. The word "Cause" is listed as a synonym of "reason". Everything that happens was caused by previous things that happened....And so on and so on....Until there was something that happened that had no cause -- God. Now, does that mean that everything happens for a "good" reason? I believe that the Universal Good is so incredibly complex and timeless that our human minds can never fully comprehend the "big picture" the way God can. And, we would be foolish to expect to comprehend it. It isn't our place to have all the answers. And that is where faith comes in. I choose to have faith that God exists, and have built my own personal relationship with my idea of God. And, when it comes to those who do not believe in God, I choose to say it differently....It isn't that they "don't believe in God"....They just choose to have faith that God does not exist. So, in what really matters, the "belief" in God or the "disbelief" in God both come down to the same thing....Faith. I just find having faith God does exist fits better into my internal world, and easier for me to accept, than a faith that God does not exist. In the end, it all comes down to personal choice. And, in the end, whether one believes or does not believe changes nothing about the truth. The truth is whatever the truth is. Maybe one day I will have true knowledge of God because I will be in God's presence. But, I can NEVER have true knowledge of the non-existence of God.

• It has to do with stories.

As a child, or as a younger child, I'm only 15, I always loved fantasy stories. From Inkheart, to the thief lord to the to Tolkien, I always loved stories. I guess that the bible, became just another story for me. Like these others stories, I saw no evidence. They were never real to me. I did love the stories, they created an escape from reality, and I continue to re-read and look for new stories today. I loved classical mythology as well, sparked mostly by D'aulaires book of Greek myth, and for my Bar-mitzvah, I was given a copy of Edith Hamilton's mythology, and many other books. What really sparked my atheism, was the Belgariad. Although the religions in the book were correct (though some were a little false) and the god's were real, the author David Eddings pointed out to me the fallacies of many religions. If you've read it this will make sense.

The Alorns (protestants), and the bear cult, show the violent fanaticism of literal interpretation of biblical texts.

Sendarians (Reform) shows how being good and king, and respectful of other faiths and beliefs is a positive aspect, instead of proselytizing others. Most of the series is a call for religious reform.

The Ulgos (Orthodox Jews) show how secluding yourself, just makes it impossible to properly assimilate with the outside world and support true good.

The Arendians (Medieval European Christians) show the problem of faith in separating people who should be on the same side, and how violent faith can cause you to be.

The Nyissans (cults) show the problems with blindly following someone who may not be fit to rule simply to please a deity who either doesn't care, or is uninvolved.

Marags (Native Americans, tribal beliefs) show how it is easy to misinterpreted, and use faith as a weapon to cause destruction on a peaceful people.

Tolnedrans (Catholics) show the problem with a religion with the power to change but doesn't, and the ability for people to do bad, and get away with it.

Angaraks (hierarchal faith) show how bad that dogmatic faith can get, even sub-cultish religion, even ones with large numbers.

So not only had religion become simply a story for me, (and not anywhere near my favorite. Warrior cats for the win! Firestar mrrrrrow!) I had learned about the fallacy of religion, and wanted to disconnect myself with any dogmatic or over zealous faith.

Apologies to Unitarian Universalists. That's a chill faith.

• I'm an agnostic so technically I don't necessarily believe in a God

I was raised Roman Catholic and went to a Catholic school. As a small child, I was deeply worried by Bible stories including the plagues, Lot's wife becoming a pillar of salt, and some other stories. Well, my questions about those stories were never answered completely. In 8th grade, I learned of the idea of moral objectivism and subjectivism. Even though my religion teacher tried ti show how morality was objective, I found his arguments unconvincing. Instead, I believed that every sentient being has its own view of morality and that God has His own as well. Nobody was right and nobody was wrong. Well in 9th grade, I challenged my own beliefs even further and doubted the historical accuracy of the Bible and other religious texts. I concluded that I could not trust revealed religion and instead, I should be an agnostic deist. That is, one who is agnostic, but lives life as a deist. I believed that the cosmological proof for God was convincing enough to consider deism to atheism, but not enough to go full deism. Well, that was fine, until around the end of 10th grade, I questioned the reason why a god would create a universe then abandon it. So over the summer, I thought about some combination of pantheism and deism. Where a god created the universe (or the beginning of existence) and then became it. This too is not convincing though, and so now, in 11th grade at the age of 16, I have decided that one cannot completely prove or disprove the existence of a deity ( I have abandoned the cosmological argument because modern physics seems to suggest otherwise ). I consider myself open and willing to hear out arguments for against the existence of a deity.

• Always atheist, never religious

I have been atheist from the very day I have been born. In fact, everyone has been atheist. When you are born you have no idea what religion is and how it could effect you. You don't understand beliefs and have no knowledge. You are a blank slab ready to be imprinted on. I was the same as everyone else when I was born. As I got older I never heard of religion ever mentioned in my house. My parents choose not to talk about anything that might influence my own choices in my life. As I reached school age they put me into a christian pre-school. They tried to teach me about religion but at that age I had no interest. As I entered middle school I became more aware of religious beliefs, that I wasn't like the other kids. I began to ask questions, what is church, why do you go, why do you believe, is this higher being real? I went and did my own research not only online but from real believers. I went to church with my (now) ex-boyfriend. In the end I concluded I was not going to believe in such a higher power. There simply was no evidence to support the theory of any form of higher power. I am still open to ideas of a higher power but until such evidence can be presented that is undeniable and can not be proved false (other than the "You can't prove me wrong" and "it's all based on believing and if you believe you would know" because those are opinions and not actual evidence) then I shall be happy to believe. Until such time, I remain atheist towards the idea of a higher being.

• No reason to believe

I always went to schools which had religious education and religious assemblies every morning, with hymn singing and bible stories. My parents never went to church and never once mentioned religion to me at home or at any time during my childhood. To me, at school, all this talk of God and Jesus was always fictitous - why would they seem like anything other than stories (and very boring ones, using funny language and hidden meanings)? I hated R.E and hated assemblies and it taught me nothing. I got into trouble for not bowing my head during prayer and for not evidently praying or singing. I then started finding out about it myself and realised how there is no basis for a rational belief in God and I thank my parents for never mentioning religion to me.

• No evidence any exist.

I was a Christian until my senior year of college (the age of 19), dropping it after several years of study in theology, history, archaeology, and science. It was not until in depth study (originally undertaken to deepen my faith) that I realized how the bible is inaccurate historically and immoral, that most of Christian mythology is taken directly from older myths of the region, and that there isn't a shred of evidence any gods exist.

• No, I don't

Atheism isn't a choice, it is a discovery. We didn't chose atheism, it was where evidence was pointing. And now we just think different about that thing. I was around 14, and it just snapped. It was very obvious in front of my eyes, yet I was afraid till then to look back. No one question god, that is why I think this delusion is more powerful than the others.

• No, I don't

It is rather simple really. When I was like 15, or 16, I asked Google if God exists and in about 30 minutes, I was an atheist. I think internet is the most powerful tool that was ever used against internet, because it allows people to get knowledge, genuine knowledge. We no longer need to go to church to find answers to deep life questions like 'what is the meaning of life', we go to google instead.

• Not enough evidence for me.

I've never been a believer but I think I became an strong atheist when I was around 13. I think that was the age that I was exposed to the scientific method of inquiry, which did and still does appeal to me. For me, there is simply not even evidence to prove that God exists. The burden of proof lies on the believer, and apart from emotions, I"ve seen no scientific reason to believe God exists.

• I don't know if I ever 'believed' in God, I was conditioned into religion vicariously.

I really dropped the bondage of organized religion and the false premised of the bible when I went to college and began the study of psychology and philosophy. I knew as I began to study the human condition and the logic, ethics and morality set forth by arguments framed in debate format eliminating logical fallacies, that there was no room for faith [religion] in the real world when you have rationality and logic to guide you through any dilemma. Religion is just a band aide for despair and an avoidance of how to truly get through and surpass problems in life.

• I never believed.

Luckily I wasn't raised religious in any way. When I was little I didn't know much about God or religion, and when i learned the first things about it (around the age of 12), I just thought it was some kind of myth, a nice story (like the Loch Ness Monster, King Arthur or Santa Clause). I was totally surprised that people really believe that, I couldn't understand why they'd do that. Nowadays I still can't fully understand how seemingly mentally healthy and reasonable people believe in such stories, but I get it that it has a lot to do with how the human psyche works.