Do you believe in the Christian God? Why or why not?

Asked by: bm17
  • Our Purpose in Life is for God's Eternal Plan.

I grew up in a Christian home and was brought up in the teachings from the Holy Bible.
    I could choose to turn away from all of that, but why do I not?
    I believe that there is a God. A God made up of not one, but three persons: The Father, The Son (Jesus Christ), and the Holy Spirit.

1 "In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth."
    -Genesis 1:1 KJV
    I believe that the entire universe, was created by God, and not evolution, or any other theory that people, even the most intelligent, have come up with.
    The verse above is all that is needed to prove that our very existence was created by God. (If you wish to read even more, please refer to the Bible, the first book, Genesis, would be a great place to begin. I'd suggest the New International Version (NIV), it's a bit easier to understand.)

Now why do I know that there is only one God, but three persons?
    26 "And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.
    27 So God created man in His own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.
    28 And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth." -Genesis 1:26-28 KJV
    Notice the Bible says "(26) Let us create man in our own image..." The "us" and "our" is a direct reference to the three persons.
    Several other verses reference the Holy Trinity, I will list a few more that may help you understand:
    Old Testament; Genesis 1
    New Testament; John 1:1, 1 Corinthians 8:6, 1 John 5:7-8

16 "For by Him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether [they be] thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by Him, and for Him:
    17 And He is before all things, and by Him all things consist." -Colossions 1:16-17 KJV
    So what is our purpose?
    God created us for several reasons, and I believe that the main reason would be for His future plan to defeat Satan. (See Ephesians 6:10-18) He also created us to bring others to Christ, to help them stand up against Satan's lies. (See Ephesians 2:10)
    I believe in Him because He is my all in all. I have chosen to accept the eternal gift for His purpose. I want to point people to eternal life. God has given all a choice between eternal life and death.
    -John 3:16

• Christianity is truth.

First of all, Christianity is the only religion that has made hundreds of detailed prophecies that have all come true. For instance, it was prophesied that Jesus would be nailed to a tree thousands of years before crucifixion was even invented. It was confirmed by numerous historians of that time (such as Josephus) that Jesus was indeed crucified.

Sometimes the argument is made that the Christian God is too discriminatory. But, the very fact that God out of his benevolence allows any of us sinful Humans into Heaven is an utter act of love.

The God of the Bible is the one and only true God.

• The teachings in Christianity are unfair.

Just the whole concept of Christianity...How everyone who doesn't believe in Jesus is damned to hell...I just find it very discriminatory. I thought religion was about accepting people? I thought God would be someone who loves everyone, no matter their gender, race, etc.?
    That is why I am a Hindu.

• It's overly anthropomorphised.

I am a theist and agree with some of the core theologies in Christianity such as monotheism, however I cannot accept Christianity as I dislike the bias that it shows toward humanity; how god made man in his own image, how we have dominion over every other living thing, even the idea of heaven and of gods perfect wisdom and goodness are human ideas of what a perfect being would be - in fact any attribute that is assigned to god by men such as the aformentioned qualities contradict with the idea that god is unknowable - even with ‘revelation’ to man about gods existence; that is still categorically man knowing something which could not possibly be known or undestood. 'And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.' Many people use the Muslims 40 virgin heaven to show the same thing and Christianity is the same, pandering to the needs and desires of man; it’s just more subtle.

• Either many Gods or no gods exist

It does not make sense that there can only be one true God when every religion with holy writing states that their God is the one and only true God. Not all of these religions can be right, but they can all be wrong. How can any of them be right for that matter? It can't be right if what you have been taught will earn you one god's heaven and another god's hell.

• It can't be possible

Well, technically I don't believe in him. I believe he is a higher being and that he is the light of the world, but the story of creation is the thing about god I refuse to believe. Those creationists just need a sad excuse in life, but the theory of evolution is more correct than a seven day creation sob story.

• Not the Biblical God

I don't believe in God in the sense of how the Bible depicts Him, I believe in more of a deist God. The Biblical God condems arbritrary behavior such as homosexuality and imposes unfair codes of conduct via holy scripture; no sex before marriage, wives must submit to their husbands, have faith in Jesus Christ to enter Heaven, etc.

• Truth is Islam.

I do not believe the idea of trinity is right. There should be only one god and he is Allah not YAHWEH or JOSHUA(what ever you call it). Jesus is only a messenger not the son of Allah. And he did not die on the cross. Please believe in Islam.