Do you believe it is best to try everyone as an adult (yes) or should children who commit violent crimes stay in the juvenile system (no)?

• Not as adults

I think that children should not be tried as adults, because they are so young that they can still be worked with and changed, so that they will start out on the right path if they are given some guideance and shown that what they did was wrong and hurtful.

• Juvenile System As A Buffer

I believe it is best to leave the juvenile system in as a buffer, so not all first time crimes receive adult penalties. I believe there is a small fraction of youth who experience the juvenile system and then go on to be upstanding citizens. I believe if a particular youth shows up in the juvenile system time and again, then they should be escalated to adult status as the program clearly is not working for them.

• Children need to be tried in a juvenile system

Adults need to be tried as an adult and children in a juvenile system. The system we have in place is working just fine. I do believe there should be a rehabilitation service program and whatever is needed to help children who are tried in a juvenile system make more positive choices later on in the lives.

• Treat them as juveniles

the problem with treating and trying children as adults is that your brain isn't completely formed until you are about 25 years old. The reasoning isn't there and the conditioning isn't there to completely understand how to behave within society. If a kid makes a mistake, this needs to be taken into consideration.

• Children should not be tried as adults.

Children do not think or have the mental capacity that adults do. They don't always understand right from wrong in the way that adults do. Therefore, it isn't really fair to hold them to the same standards considering they aren't given the same rights as adults. Age limits on things like alcohol, driving, military, and work point to the fact that society knows there is a difference.