Do you believe laws with a religious basis should be thrown out by higher courts?

• Religion Should Not Drive Law

Our society in the United States is one based on the concept of the separation of church and state. The laws which govern us should come from democratically-elected bodies, not from the scriptures of various religions. Such a practice would be unfair to those who do not observe any particular relgion, and present the opportunity for oppression or bias.

• Yes They Should

I believe when laws surface that have a religious basis, then higher courts most definitely should throw them out. I believe it is important to separate church from state, but there are laws that can have a basis in religion and also hold true for society in general. When you consider murder, it is both a commandment and a legitimate law for a secular society.

• Laws with a religious basis should be thrown out by higher courts.

I believe that laws with a religious basis should be thrown out by higher courts. The current government abides by the concept of separation between church and state. This allows for the constitutional right of freedom of religion. Therefore laws that are formed with a religious basis should be thrown out by higher courts. Laws should be based on government ethics not religious law.

• Yes they should

Yes, I do think that all laws that are based just on the religion of a person need to be tossed out of the system. There are to many facts that are backed by science not that show that religion beliefs are not how all of the things on this earth were made.

• As long as they are constitutional.

No, I do not believe that laws with a religious basis should be thrown out by higher courts, as long as the laws don't mandate religion. Most laws are grounded in some kind of religion and ethics. Without allowing some kind of reason for the law, most laws would be thrown out, and we would have anarchy.