Do you believe linguistic reasons are the main purpose for Romania suggesting the Roma change their name?

• More Than Likely

I believe it is likely that linguistic reasons are behind the suggestion that Roma change their name. However, if they are comfortable with the terminology then I see no reason for that to be a valid reason for a change. To me, name changes are subjective, and it won't do anything to combat the real problem.

• No there is no linguistic reason for Romania suggesting the Roma change their name .

No there is no linguistic reason for Romania suggesting the Roma change their name .
    There are many issues internal to Romania and there are certain issues related to rights and
    self identification within small groups and communities in Romanians . Romania is making strong attempt to weave all the communities together and changing the name is one among many ways to strengthen nationalism internally .
    Given the main reason , it seems less likely that there is any linguistic reason for suggesting change in their name .

• No, I do not believe it is for linguistic reasons.

I believe the reason Romania suggested the Roma change their name had nothing to do with linguistics and more to do with Europeans immediate reaction to the name. The Roma name denotes a certain lower class of people to most Europeans. The stigma attached to the name "Roma" means that the Romani people will continue to be pre-judged wherever they go in Europe. Changing their name may be a valid option to start ending the discrimination.

• No, I do not.

I think it has more to do with pride and national identity. They are offended over something that doesn't even deserve offense. I find the entire Roma situation piddling and trifling and really a bit pathetic. Are we really so trivial that we have to harp over subjects such as this?

• The Romanians most likely do not want to associate with the negative aspects of Roma life.

Linguistic reasons are not the main purpose for Romania suggesting the Roma change their name. I think the people of Romania do not want to be associated with the negative aspects of the Roma, such as the drifting and the using of social welfare programs, and also of theivery some people have reported.