Do you believe stories are ruined when articial happy endings are added to them?

• Realism is important in film and happy endings are illogical and uncreative.

The most common reason for a happy ending in a film is a fear of commercial success without the happy ending. Often, happy endings kill any real statement the film is trying to make and diminishes the director's voice. Romantic comedies are truly commercial films and have no real intention of making serious social commentary, whereas important films are trying to express or say something about the real world, and in the real world, things never end the way they do in Hollywood films. Even if things go well, there is no happily even after, a new problem always arises and henceforth happy endings are unrealistic and uninspiring. People shouldn't watch film to seek hope.

• Yes, but we have to see them as entertainment.

It does seem that stories, such as novels and movies, often end with a happy ending. This can be seen, for example, with Disney movies, where the prince and princess live happily ever after in a castle somewhere. This can give people an inaccurate view of various life issues, including that love takes work from both people. That being said, what can we expect from books and movies? No one would go to see them if they ended with real-life endings. While I think this makes them unrealistic and ruined in that way, people view them as a means of escape.

• Yes, artificial happy endings ruin some stories

I think that some stories are ruined by artificial happy endings. I
    have watch a lot of movies that were good up until the ending where a
    sappy ending was used. I think that filmmakers these days should take
    more risks and end film with a more natural solution. I think fans of
    films would appreciate it more.

• Only if they are artificial

Every story must have a logical ending that follows what preceded it, and sometimes everything is not leading up to a happy ending. If a happy ending is artificial and tacked on, then it will not logically progress from where the story was going and will definitely feel out of place.

• Yes, artificial happy endings ruin some stories.

I think that some stories are ruined by artificial happy endings. I have watch a lot of movies that were good up until the ending where a sappy ending was used. I think that filmmakers these days should take more risks and end film with a more natural solution. I think fans of films would appreciate it more.

• No, stories are not ruined when artificial happy endings are added.

Stories are not ruined when artificial happy endings are added. I believe that a good stories depends on its success by appealing to the target audience's desires. Often, as an audience, we desire stories that give us hope and happiness. Stories are often a means of escape from reality, where the audience can step into an alternate world and forget about the one they actually live in. Whether the alternate world is in the form of a book, movie, or any other medium for storytelling, I believe that artificial happy endings provide the audience with a satisfying escape from reality.