Do you believe that greater USDA inspections will prevent tainted meat from being sold to consumers?

• More inspection can never hurt.

The United States Department of Agriculture's inspection arm is a very thin line of protection for food safety, and it needs to be strengthened. There are so many ways our food supply could become contaminated if they cannot do their jobs. To that end, I believe that greater USDA inspections will do quite a bit to prevent the sale of tainted meat.

• More inspections leads to better behavior.

Yes, I believe that greater USDA inspections will prevent tainted meat from being sold to consumers, because enforcement efforts will make the meat producers act with more caution. People are less likely to try to cheat the rules if they believe that they are going to get caught. With knowing the laws will be enforced, the producers are more likely to comply.

• So much waste

The USDA inspection process is incredibly wasteful to the US and does not do much to reduce the flow of tainted meat. Very little meat is sold in the US that would be considered tainted, and most stores and butcheries today already take steps to prevent toxic meat from being sold.

• It's not greater, it's smarter

I think that the USDA is a very important organization that serves a valuable purpose. Without them, we would probably have inedible food that would make us sick. However, I don't think that it's about more regulation but about smarter regulation and places a greater emphasis on large meat production.

• They cannot prevent everything.

No, I do not believe that greater USDA inspections will prevent tainted meat from being sold to consumers, because there are already many inspections. Those who produce the meat already have the deterrent that if they sell tainted meat, their company will not be trusted any more as a seller. More USDA inspections will likely not do any more good than is already being done. Most meat is healthy and fine to eat.