Do you believe that most Christians, specifically, cannot accept others beliefs?

• I believe that most, yet not all, cannot accept.

For the most part, I only see Christians specifically not accept others beliefs.
    Keep in mind that you can have two Christians and both believe in very different things.
    But, an example will be if a Christian sees someone with tattoos and piercings, they assume they do not love their body and that it's "Ungodly". When in fact, this shows they DO love their body, and they have FREEDOM.
    Another example is homosexuality. When a Christian sees a gay couple, they say its against god, and they do not want it legalized for their benefit only, even though gay marriage holds NO EFFECT whatsoever to them.
    But, this doesn't include all Christians, just most.

• The definition of 'accept' matters.

Christians, I am not picking on you any more than on Muslims, atheists, communists, socialists, anarchists, republicans (the political ideology), democrats (the political ideology), Republicans (the political party), Democrats (the political party), human-caused climate changers, climate change deniers, etc. ad nauseum.

If this is only about 'accept' in the sense of refraining from book burning, imprisonment, denial of rights, killing, torture, etc., then modern Christians are behind many modern Muslims, the Israeli Jews, and Buddhists and Hindus in many parts of Asia. But, to be frank, it is hard to beat the crusades and the Inquisition for not 'accepting' other beliefs.

On the other hand, if what we mean by 'accept' is to seriously consider other beliefs with an open mind and refraining from judgment of the person or the idea long enough to honestly consider the merits based on logic and evidence, then most of these ideologists are equally guilty of the fault of bias and intolerance.

Because the Christian concept of salvation is based in belief, obviously there is an ingrained reticence to suspend bias because doubt could land one in hell. This does make Christians especially immune to open-mindedness.

Even so, all of us who cherish some belief or other are likely to have imbibed the Kool-Aid, and have closed our minds to any real consideration or acceptance of an opposing idea. Rather than exploring an idea honestly, we look for ways to undermine it, and ignore any validity it may have, dismiss any viable evidence, or twist the meaning of the evidence to support our own claims.

• Big sum of people lack education in general

If you take any big group chances are there are more uneducated people than educated ones. If you go to universities to talk with Christians there they will have greater insight and be more open with other religions and can talk into some deep theology with you. If you go down some dung hole in some trailer park you will find nothing but ignorance and bigotry. Simple as that.

• Christians for the most part can't respect anything different.

Christians can not accept anything but their own beliefs and drown out all others reasoning. I will give a few examples out of my own experiences.

I am Atheist- Most of the time, Christians look at me angrily and talk about how I need God, No thank you.

I am Bisexual- Most Christians cannot stand this and usually call me a dirty sodomite.

So, yeah. How about that "Love Thy Neighbour?"

• Christians cannot change their beliefs, aside from God is Creator, Christ is Savior, the saved go to heaven and the damned go to hell.

I'm sure God doesn't care whether we believe the Earth is 6000 years old or six billion, he just wants us to accept him and the son. Jesus taught people about religious tolerance, even if it means they are sinners, we must still love them. Not everyone will accept the news and not everyone will be saved, they understand that. But they don't want us warping it with things like reincarnation and indulgences (buying your way to heaven). I have several Hindu friends, about 5 Buddhist friends, and at least 20 who are either Jew or Muslim. But the Lord has not told me not to be friends with them, so that tells me he is okay with it.

• Christians are commanded

F your own full brother, or your son or daughter, or your beloved wife, or you intimate friend, entices you secretly to serve other gods, whom you and your fathers have not known, gods of any other nations, near at hand or far away, from one end of the earth to the other: do not yield to him or listen to him, nor look with pity upon him, to spare or shield him, but kill him. (Deuteronomy 13:7-12 NAB)

Suppose you hear in one of the towns the LORD your God is giving you that some worthless rabble among you have led their fellow citizens astray by encouraging them to worship foreign gods. In such cases, you must examine the facts carefully. If you find it is true and can prove that such a detestable act has occurred among you, you must attack that town and completely destroy all its inhabitants, as well as all the livestock. (Deuteronomy 13:13-19 NLT)

• Most Christians are more tolerant of others beliefs

I am a Christian and very interested in the beliefs of other religions. The same applies for most Christians I know. Because we have faith and it is so important to us, we recognise that other people's faith are important to them.

It is the Atheists who are the less tolerant in general. They don't want anything religious brought up ever. My sister is an Atheist and she gets offended if anyone even mentions their beliefs, feeling it is a direct attack on her.

• Not at all

If anything it is clearly atheists who cannot accept others beliefs. It is them with the rallies, it is their leaders who say things like "publically ridicule them", in reference to religious people. In the case of gay people, what christians think is of "NO EFFECT", to them, too, so they need to be more accepting of other peoples beliefs.

• This is just rude.

First off, this entire page is one massive generalization. What if we say "All Muslims cannot accept other beliefs?" Does that change the context? Does that seem right?

Christians are not robots with a single unifying belief and to assume so proves that people are still ignorant in this so-called modern world. Some Christians are stupid and ignorant, some are barely Christians at all, but Jesus spoke mostly of love and understanding, not of damning and hell-fire. Who is to say "You are a Jesus-freak, therefore you cannot accept my beliefs!"

I can accept what you think. What's wrong with that. What would I do, really, even if I didn't? I can accept but have a different belief.

This whole topic is ridiculous.

• There is irony in saying Christians cannot accept other beliefs.

When you look at the religions that are followed most around the world today, one of the key principles that serves as the basis of such religion is to love/care for another fellow human being. The Christian religion preaches love just as the Islamic religion does. Buddhism also advocates peace. So if you think of it in that concept, when a Christian follows the commands to "love thy neighbor" they are practicing the ideal beliefs of Islam, Buddhism, etc. Many religions have similar overlapping principles therefore its not exactly possible to believe in "love thy neighbor" as a Christian while rejecting Islam/Buddhism as a whole.

• I am a Christian and I accept people with different beliefs.

Most people seem to think that Christians are judgmental haters who dislike anyone who doesn't share their beliefs. Unfortunately, this is often true in today's world. However, those people should probably reconsider exactly what it means to be a Christian. Jesus told us to love one another and even to love our enemies. So just because someone has different beliefs is no reason to dislike them or kick them out. I don't agree with certain beliefs, but I tolerate them and I am still friends with the person. I try to not judge others based on their religion, I judge them on their actions and personalities. There are some beliefs that are a lot like Christianity, but I may not agree with anything. So to answer this question, no most Christians can't accept others beliefs, but they can accept the person themselves.

• Both sides are hypocrites

It is true, many, possibly most Christians, cannot accept other beliefs, and often use violence through government to enact this on society. However, It is false that Christians, specifically cannot accept other beliefs. What do you call violence so called 'progressives' use against those who do not want to pay more taxes or against those who want to discriminate in their businesses or who simply want to be left alone and don't want to be a part of your 'society'?

• You can accept, but you don't have to agree.

Most Christians, that are not fanatics, are tolerant, which means they no longer execute, or in any way segregate people that disagree with them.
    On the other hand, that doesn't mean they, are going to change their beliefs or give up faith, they wouldn't rather to argue about their faith, but they aren't absolute about it either. As all atheists aren't big time debaters and critics of religions, so are Christians, not blindfolded fundamentalists that burn books referring to logical thinking and freedom of will.

• This is just silly

There are actually a very select few Christians who believe this way. I have encountered a few. Its not just a single denomination. Its a select few in different Christian denominations. So no MOST Christians do not think this way. However, it is very clear that ALL atheists believe this way

• Christians are often seen as intolerant and bigoted, but this isn't the case.

It is true that many American Christians are this way, but they're mainly religious fundamentalists. As is true with all religions, fundamentalists do not represent the entire group of followers of that religion. Just as most Muslims are not terrorists (only fundamentalists), many Christians are very tolerant and accepting. Especially in more liberal areas, such as New England and California in the US, and much of Europe. That's not to say there aren't bigoted Christians in those areas, but they do not make up the majority.

bubbatheclown says2014-03-15T20:22:30.043
By the basic tenets of Christianity, yes, and the world is terribly offended by this.