• poverty is a cause of crime

throughout history statistics have shown that poorer areas are more crime stricken than richer ones. i think it's safe to assume that most crimes start out as a crime out of necessity. It is true that crimes also happen out of greed, but this is not a question on what causes more crime.

• Poverty isn't the cause of crime

Money is the root of all evil.” How many times have you heard that? I’ve heard it more times than I can count. Its a popular thing to say, but I don't think it is true.People (of any income level) who rob, rape, and murder do so because they lack a functioning conscience and moral self-control. It is not material poverty that causes violent crime, but poor character.

• No, rich people commit crime too.

No, poverty is not the cause of crime, because rich people often commit crime too. Crime makes you poor of course, because you have to pay court costs and fees, and often lose your driver's license, but there is nothing about poverty that inherently makes someone commit a crime. Some people just do not conform their behavior to the requirements of the law.