Do you believe the black community takes certain things the wrong way?

Asked by: Adam2
  • In this episode of "Seinfeld"

George was saying to Mr Morgan that he looked like Sugar Ray Lennord. It was an honest opinion, not something mean-spirited. Mr Morgan took that the wrong. In the episode "The N Word" of "Curb Your Enthusiasm," a black pharmacists got a letter talking about the Blacks. But it wasn't blacks as in the race. He was talking about the Black surname. Since the family surname of the family that stood with Larry was named Black. But he took it the wrong way.

• Perhaps. Perhaps not.

As a member of the ever-exclusive and secret "black community", I do not think "taking things the wrong way" is applicable only to black people. Anyone can take anything the wrong way. If you're asking should black people respond to possibly racist comments, then my answer is yes. There's nothing wrong with letting a person know that what they're saying is offensive, even if what was said wasn't intended to be offensive. If that person is genuinely unprejudiced, then they will respect the criticism, learn from it, and move on.

As for the Seinfield and Curb Your Enthusiasm examples, let's just remember that TV shows and reality are generally not mutually exclusive.

• Perhaps. Perhaps not.

• No more than anyone else

I don't think black people take things the wrong way. If they do they don't do it any more than anyone else. I think basing the thought that the black community takes things the wrong way based on things you saw on tv shows is probably why you think that way, obviously misunderstandings about race are funny so it is likely to be the subject of, for instance, a tv comedy.