Do you believe the GRE is an accurate test to get into graduate school?

• I do believe the GRE is an accurate test.

I feel as though you need to be able to prove that you understand the basics of what you were taught in high school, to get into a graduate school. There are some basics that I feel a student needs to know before attending a graduate school. Why would a school want to accept an application for a student, who does not meet the basic knowledge? It is less likely that they will succeed.

• It measures intelligence.

Yes, I believe that the GRE is an accurate test to get into graduate school, because it measures a number of things that are relevant in graduate school. The GRE measures thinking and reasoning ability. It also measures how much general knowledge that a person has. The better they do, the more likely they are to do well in graduate school.

• The GRE Test

I personally think that the GRE is an accurate test to get into graduate school. I believe the test is fair and unbiased so despite peoples hate for standardized testing it does give the school an idea of where the student stands as far as their academic progress. I believe these tests are more helpful than we give the credit for.

• Gives An Idea

I believe the GRE is an accurate test to get into graduate school. I believe the test is fair and unbiased so despite peoples hate for standardized testing it does give the school an idea of where the student stands as far as their academic progress. I believe these tests are more helpful than we give the credit for.

• Only tests the ability to learn things for the short term

The GRE is, unlike many other standardized exams, merely a test of one's ability to learn information you don't care about and then regurgitate it accurately. Vocabulary, for instance, is a reflection of a lifetime of reading, but yet high scores on the GRE require near rote memorization of endless word lists to have any chance of a high score. Those word lists are never again of any use to anyone after the GRE. Thus having the time, and the direction, to be able to properly pursue GRE preparation is more a reflection of socioeconomic status than it is the potential of a person to perform as a graduate student.