Do you believe the most qualified students should be recruited by universities regardless of race or nationality?

• Yes, I believe the most qualified students should be recruited regardless of their race or nationality.

I believe that it is very unfair that a qualified student may not get a spot at a college because that spot was taken by a less qualified student that was a minority. I understand that colleges want to promote diversity but if they take any form of public funding they should be required to take the most qualified over any other reason.

• Yes, universities have an interest in securing the most qualified students.

Yes, universities should look at qualifications instead of race when populating their institutions. There are people of all ethnic backgrounds who achieve at high levels in high school, meaning that it is possible to create a student body with diversity without having to set up a quota system that penalizes achievement.

• Merit over outside political pressure.

If we are going to truly create a society that looks beyond the skin tone of it's citizens, we must place a higher value on qualification and skills of individuals. This way the idea of "specialized classes" will be completely removed from the equation and instead what will be celebrated in society will be results of ones labors.

Our society should put a much higher value in the idea of merit. When people learn to look at a man or a woman's talent based on their results, instead of on superficial qualities such as the color of a person's skin, or the nationality they were born under, we will begin to see a society that values individual skills and talents instead of group identities.

• Lessen the controversy by following common sense

Now to start off, I'm all for racial equality, and I myself am a minority in the United States. However, I don't believe that any student, no matter what race, should get a free ticket just on the basis of diversity. If a college has to be all Caucasian, then I guess that means all Caucasians at that school are better students than the non-white students who applied to get in there. Again, I'm not white, but I still believe this to be the way to go.

Accepting or declining anyone on a basis of race is a double-edged sword. If a school declined a white student because they wanted a black student, that's discrimination. If an all black school declined a white student, that's discrimination too. Furthermore, the white student could argue that since the black student got into his/her white school, the white student should be able to do the same regarding the black college.

This literally happened (with a different race of course) just a few years ago at Kamehameha Schools on Oahu, Hawaii. The late Hawaiian Princess Bernice Pauahi Bishop established this school system to ensure that all children of native Hawaiian ancestry get good education. Therefore, a student must be 50% Hawaiian to be allowed enrollment into this private school system. Sometime in 2008-2009, a white student demanded entry into the school on the basis of diversity. He was 0% Hawaiian. He got in. That defeated the purpose of having the schools in the first place. Hawaiian students were outraged and allegedly beat up the white student shortly after his enrollment. Even more controversial was the ever-present rumor that Charles Reed Bishop, Princess Pauahi's Caucasian husband, murdered the princess in order to reap the rewards of her Will. The Will included ownership of the Kamehameha Schools.

To conclude, to reduce controversy and confusion, I suggest just sticking to basic rules of school acceptance - do good in school, get into college.

• The best and brightest.

Yes, I believe that the most qualified students should be recruited by universities regardless of race or nationality, because a person's background and their cultural context is usually not something as simple as what box they check on the race form. People are more complex than that, and the best deserve to go to university.