Do you believe the phrase 'under God' in the Pledge of Allegiance violates the First Amendment?

• Yes, religious language doesn't belong in the Pledge

The phrase "under God" is a relic of the 1950s when every American was eager to prove that he was opposed to "godless Communism." But it's unconstitutional to demand that Americans, particularly schoolchildren, acknowledge the supremacy of the Judeo-Christian God, or any god. To those who insist that "under God" is harmless, I'd ask, "What if the Pledge contained the phrase 'under Zeus' or 'under Allah'? You'd never see that in the Pledge.

• Freedom of Religion, Freedom from Religion

The United States isn't a theocracy. The government is for the people, of the people and by the people as opposed to for God, of God and by God. Phrases that mention God with respect to the United States should be eliminated, including "under God" in the pledge, "In God We Trust" on our currency and "so help me God" at the end of sworn judicial statements on a witness stand. The First Amendment states we have freedom of religion, but that also means we have freedom from religion.

• Pledge is in Violation

Because of the separation of church and state the Pledge of Allegiance is in violation if it schools force kids to use it. And since it is in use all over it is in violation. Take it out and everything will be better again. Only put it in the Pledge in the 1950s

• No, the phrase "under God" doesn't violate the First Amendment.

I do not believe that the phrase "under God" in the Pledge of Allegiance violates the First Amendment. I think that it is something that a lot of people agree with and do not see a problem with. I do not see the need to remove it from the Pledge.

• It does not.

Where are the cops and secret police handcuffing you because you're atheist, or Muslim, or whatever? NO where. So its a stupid question. And I am disappointed 75% of the people on this debate think so. I'm sorry, but its not complicated. You have freedom of religion. That hasn't been taken away from you. Worship how you want, when you what, or don't. Don't make a mountain out of a molehill.