Do you believe the shooting of Michael Brown in Ferguson, MO. Was justifiable homicide? Why? Or why not?

Asked by: breebrimage777
  • Innocent till proven guilty.

So far, I was only able to find one testimony of the incident. Seeing that they are obviously a friend of Brown's so would only give information that would be on the side of Brown. At least one part of the witnesses statement does not make sense, that being the supposed ricochet of the car door. Unlike a solid object, a car door is hollow with a fairly thin outside skin of sheet metal. Because of this, if the door hit the two people, the door would absorb most of the impact and any bounce off the two would be slight at best. Not enough to come back and hit the officer. It is more likely that as the officer opened the door, one or both of the men attempted to push the door back and that is what caused it to hit the officer. Clearly, if the witness would fabricate something like that, he would do the same with other factors in order to make the officer look more guilty.
    Though some officers can behave like bullies, I doubt the officer drew his weapon or fired it for no reason.
    They complain that so many of the officers are white yet how many black people from the community have joined the police force? From one source, I read that about 2/3 of the town's population is black so why so few joined the police force? Obviously, some black people are on the town's police force so it can not be that they are kept out. The simple answer is that the local black population does not want to join.
    To make matters worse, the riots have spawned looting. This does not help the black community when their own people are videoed breaking laws.

• The Officer was defending himself

The autopsy report states that Mr.Brown was shot from the front of his body so Mr.Brown couldn't have been running away from the officer and he couldn't have been shot from close range because no gunpowder residue was found. There were a total of 6 shots 4 of those shots hit his right arm so he couldn't have been on his knees with his hands up if he was and the officer wanted to kill him we would have been shot on the chest or head

• Arm wrestling with the police

The moment the subject touched the cop, the cop became justified to take whatever action he deemed necessary. If someone attacked me i would shoot them too. I feel like the only reason we are even talking about this is because the cop was white and the subject was black.

• Justifiable homicide based on facts...

I am perplexed at the rioting, protesting and looting that has gone on in Ferguson. Based on the facts in the case, it was a justifiable homicide. Not much has been said on this "kid's" size, but he was a large man.
    To those that state that the earlier burglary was irrelevant, the convenience store footage clearly shows Mr. Brown's proclivity towards aggression and violence so it is, in fact, relevant. (History has a way of repeating itself, hence the reason it is studied in schools.) A dozen or so witnesses have come forward to state that Mr. Brown did clearly engage the officer and showed the same aggression/violence that he was caught on camera exhibiting earlier that same day. Whether or not he was armed, I'm sure this officer feared for his life. Day after day this man has to possibly put his life on the line for others and I imagine it causes some intense anxiety to not know if you will make it home that evening. (Before anyone thinks such - I am in no way affiliated w/ law enforcement nor do I know anyone in any capacity of law enforcement. In fact, I don't like law enforcement because of the propensity for a lot of them to be on "power trips", however, I respect what they do to keep a civilized society.)
    There are some cases out there that are positively police brutality, abuse of power and even murder, but I just do not think that this is one of those cases. And given the same circumstances, I imagine many would have done the exact same thing that Officer Wilson did...Regardless of race.

• Politically correct answer again

This shooting causing riots is the most rediculous thing I've ever seen. The blacks look for any reason to try to make a shooting into a racial situation. The shooting was justified, if it was a black cop shooting a white kid, this would never have made headlines. How does looting stores and stealing convey a message that a racial killing occurred? The blacks just want to make a situation into something racial so that it makes them victims once again, and excuses their stealing & looting. There should never be an excuse for that, but if anyone says anything about it, they are being racial. This kid that was shot was a thief, assaulted a store owner, and came after a cop , who had no choice but to shoot him in self defense . The fact that the president sent his biased people to the area only added fuel to the fire. This whole situation is a joke. Way to go Obama . Don't want you take time off from your vacation . Let's wait till more Americans die at the hands of Isis . You said they were never a threat.

• According to the Grand Jury testimony I spent hours reading,

The evidence shows that Mike attacked the police officer. That fact is indisputable, and not the first bad decision he made that day. The first bad decision was strong-arm robbing a convenience store clerk for a trivial amount of merchandise. So, Mike attacked the cop, knowing full well that all police officers carry firearms and the authority to use them. Anybody in his right mind would take this fact into consideration before making the decision to attack a law enforcement officer in broad daylight, but Mike, for whatever reason, decided to do it anyway. He ended up getting wounded by the officer when he tried to wrest his sidearm from his grip, and then ran from the scene toward his apartment complex instead of lying on the ground with his hands visible and saying two words that would have spared his life: I SURRENDER. Mistake three. After running from the officer he still had opportunity to surrender, saving himself from a gruesome end, but instead he turned toward the police officer and ran toward him as if to tackle him. According to Wilson's testimony, he had one hand under his shirt as if he were reaching for something, but that's not really worth considering since Mike was running toward a law enforcement officer in a threatening manner. Officer Wilson, knowing that if this very strong, very big man (let's stop calling him a 'kid', he is, by law, an adult) reached him, he would likely endure severe injury or death at his hands. So, he did the only thing he could do in the seconds he had to make a decision: he shot him dead in the street. Put yourself in Mike position for a moment: how could you attack a cop and not expect this as the result? Now, put yourself in Wilson's shoes: you have been assaulted, you don't understand why things escalated to the point that they did, you are in a dangerous situation, and a very angry and large man is closing in on you with the intent to kill. What would you have done? If I had assaulted a police officer, I would fully expect to be shot dead if I persisted in attacking him. Why is this situation different?

• Brown deserved what he got

Many try the arguments stating that he was an "innocent kid" taking a stroll down the road. Really folks! This "kid" was a punk and you just don't try to beat up an officer because he doesn't belong in your hood. Stop playing a race card. White or black you just cant fix stupid. I feel bad for Browns family having to go through this. No parent should have to go through this.

• Give me A Break

As a firefighter I realize how hard it is to make split second decisions that could mean life or death for myself and the community members I serve, and how easy it is to go back later and pick apart that decision and think how this could have gone differently. However out in the field we don't always get to sit down and think things thru before we act, we are forced to makes split second decisions and then stand by them.

• Witnesses? The cop is innocent.

There were 3 witness reports.
    1. The cop
    2. Browns friend
    3. A spectator (who was black if that matters) who said brown went for the gun, struggled with it and was shot.
    The spectator is the only non biased witness. Why do the protesters not see this?
    Are they mad cops aren't racist?

• What if Brown was white ?

A large, violent, white thug attacked a black police officer today but the badly injured police officer managed to shoot his attacker before he could be overcome by the 300 lb monster.
    The white thug had previously robbed a convenience store owner and assaulted him.
    The black community praised the heroic efforts of the black officer and expressed concern about violence and looting from the angry white community.
    Makes you go, hmmmm..

• Over use of force

Michael Brown was guily of burgulary and assalt but the store insident is irrelevent to the encounter with the police officer, therefore him being a burgular should not be used to justify him being slaughtered. Also, even if brown did ensue violence, he was unarmed and should have been hit or tased at the most. If the officer cant handle a feeble minded 18 year old without pulling out a gun and shooting him (especially multiple times) then he clearly isnt fit to be a police officer.Also the autopsy showed that Brown was shot from a distance so even if he did attack the officer, he wasnt attacking him during the sbooting itself.

• I believe that Michael Brown was murdered and it was not justifiable homicide, because, he was unarmed and posed no threat to anyone.

18yr old Michael Brown was shot and killed near his grandmother’s house by a Ferguson police officer. The St. Louis County police have not given a "reason" for the shooting. Witnesses at the scene said Brown was unarmed and had his hands in the air when he was shot multiple times by an officer in downtown St. Louis.

• No, it was abuse of authority which led to the negligent homicide of an innocent teen

"I saw the police chase him ... Down the street and shoot him down," Crenshaw said. Brown ran about 20 feet.
    "Michael jerks his body, as if he's been hit," Mitchell said.
    Then he faced the officer and put his hands in the air, but the officer kept firing, both women said. He sank to the pavement.

Three eye witnesses have detailed what happened. The officer chased down and murdered a young, unarmed man.

• Not justifiable at all.

No, Brown isn't an innocent kid strolling down the road. He was wrong in disobeying and attempting to harm a cop. But for those using Brown's violence and aggression to justify Wilson's actions, how would assault be punishable by death? Why would a police officer feel the need to shoot an unarmed teen dead? He could have shot Brown in the legs instead to stop him from charging. No, the blacks aren't using this as an excuse to make themselves seem like the victims. How would you feel if your son was killed by a cop, even if he was in the wrong?

• Had no right

Police officer Darren Wilson thought that he did the right thing, but my opinion is that I think that he had no right shooting an unarmed teenager. I myself am an African-American and Hispanic female, and I'm afraid that my brothers are going to meet the same fate. This is a case of racial disparity. If a white male shoots a African-American male, the cops aren't going to do anything about it. But, if a African-American shoots a Caucasian, then everything would be Armageddon at that time. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

• Over use of force

• I say its not justified even with the little info I have and a bit of common sense.

Originally the police stated that the store the kids left from called police on them, after the owner and the cashier both stated they never called the police the story changed on their behalf.As for the witnesses, the kid that was with him changed little bits of his story which is understandable because the first interview was pretty soon after the incident took place and chances are he still needed time to process what happen.No right minded human being can witness something like that and tell what happened word for word immediately afterward . Just an assumption but, I doubt a kid that was starting college the next day would be dumb enough to attack an officer.This what I believed happened after hearing both sides of incident.The 2 boys where walking across the street to their house, the cop told them to get out the street while he was driving by, they continue walking in the street because they are down the street from their house.The police see's them, goes in reverses almost hitting them.Like any rational human, you would be pissed at the cop.As the cop barely misses the 2 teens, words are exchanged, the cops call the boys to his cruiser, the cop opens his door hitting Michael and the door bounced off him hitting the police ( or even if he did push the door back, its natural instinct to stop something from hitting you).The officer then tries to pull Michael in the car and Michael resist, the cop finds this reason enough to kill him.So the officer shoots him, through the window.Michael runs away, the cop exit his vehicle still shooting at him, as Michael gets shot, he turns around puts his hands up and gets on his knees.Cop shoots him.
    At the end of the day, an unarmed kid was shot dead.

• Had no right

• Over use of force

Police over use their authority and think that they can shoot anyone they feel like shooting because they're cops and they know that nothing bad will happen to them. A cop shooting a innocent teen for no reason can not be justified in any way. Murder is murder this officer should not be treated differently just because he's a cop.

• Over use of force

Officer could have hit or even tased. Gun was definitely not needed. Officer is not fit to be an officer if cant even handle a punk 18 year old without using a gun. Brown is guily of theft and assalt of the store owner but that cant be used to justify the shooting because they were two seperate incidence. Also autopsy showed that he was shot at a distance; therefore, he wasnt attacking the officer when he was being shot

SweetTea says2014-08-14T11:31:05.447
We don't have enough facts to make that decision. Personally, I was glad the FBI entered the picture.
SweetTea says2014-08-15T09:32:41.157
The looting & burning of businesses (some of which aren't even in Ferguson) ISN'T justified, either. This is a h*ll of a way to remember that poor kid. If in fact he was innocent, it's even worse. This violence will forever be associated with his name & memory!
KnowledgeBot5 says2015-10-27T04:29:12.503
If i was 18, there are a few things that i would never do, 1. I would never commit a robbery, 2. I would never resist an arrest, regardless of whether or not i had done something illegal, 3. Respect the ppl that protect and serve. Use some, not much, but some common sense