Do you believe the theories purported by Henry Kamen's book 'The Spanish Inquisition: A Historical Revision' that there was less torture and terror than previously believed?

• Well researched and nuanced

Too many people fall for the Errol Flynn version. -Handsome, blue-eyed, protestant, North Atlantic virtue triumphing over depraved, swarthy, Mediterraneans. I do not agree with all Kamen's conclusions, but it is clear the standard version exaggerates both the numbers and effective time frame. People will believe what they want to.

• Well researched and nuanced

• Yes I do.

I have read other books on Spanish history by Henry Kamen whose vast knowledge and research of the subject is untinged by the customary bias associated with the Black Legend fabricated by protestant propaganda. The same political propaganda which had lead me to believe Francisco Pizarro was "an illiterate swineherd" until I saw a beautifully hand-written letter addressed by him to Charles V at a history exhibition in Seville's Archivo de Indias last month!

• Yes, I believe the theories purporated in Henry Kamen's book that there was less tortune then we previously believed.

While the Spanish Inquisition was a terrible time for those it effected I think often many of these events get blown way out of proportion from what actually happened, I am sure torture and terror did occur routinely but I bet it happened at a small fraction of what the average person believes happened.

• Thousands still died.

Kamen appears to believe by putting the Inquisition "in context", exposing the exaggerations of Protestants, and showing from the sources that victims were only in the thousands , that this somehow ameliorates the sheer horror of what was being done. It doesn't. Part of repentance should involve official Catholic organisations stopping their attempted revisionist defence of Catholic (not merely Spanish) crimes against humanity.

• no I do not.

The reason I do not believe this is because Henry Kramen is a religious fanatic and apologist and would do anything to make the Christian faith look better than it actually is, which is, of course, pathetic on his part. I think he did a terrible job here and rewrote the brutality of history in many parts.

• No, history is told by the victor.

I believe that if a person believes something, it will follow on. Henry Kamen seems to be the type of author to see good in all people, but this is bad for him as he is very bias. The book, although well written, does not have any real hard evidence.

• It is documented.

No, Henry Kamen's book on the Spanish Inquisition, which suggests that there was less torture and terror than previously believed, is not credible. Kamen's book is nothing more than revisionist history, because he downplays the atrocities of the Spanish Inquisition that have been well-documented by historians. The torture and terror happened.

• Not at all

No, I think that there was a whole lot of torture and terror during this event, and if you think that there was not then you need to look at the different tools that they had to hurt a person, then you will see that they did some awful things.