Do you believe the United States should allow companies to have deep sea mining operations off its coasts?

• They are profitable.

Yes, I believe that the United States should allow companies to have deep sea mining operations off its coasts, because it is an efficient way to have the mining. People would much rather have mining out in the ocean than in their backyards. Off-shore mining is also quite a safe way to mine. The benefits outweigh the costs.

• No, deep sea mining off our coasts could be disastrous.

I am not in agreement with having deep sea mining operations off our coasts. I believe the risk to the ecological system is too great. Also, there is no "set in stone" protocol to be followed when and if a disaster occurs. There is also the very real threat to the individuals who are employed in these operations. The overall risk is just too great.

• No They Shouldn't

I do not believe the United States should allow companies to have deep sea mining operations off its coasts. I believe the only areas where these companies should be allowed to mine are on lands or areas they have purchased. Outside of owning the land and/or area of water, they shouldn't be able to claim rights to use the land or extract anything from them.

• Deep sea mining threatens fragile oceans.

The mining of valuable minerals at the bottom of the ocean is pure folly on it's face Terrestrial mining is destructive of the natural world in all it's forms. While a great deal of effort and expense has been applied to addressing the damage, the idea that such operations could be safely conducted undersea has already been clearly refuted by these same damages. Beyond the local environmental dangers of such industrial activity, there is a great cause to be concerned that since the sea is in fact one ocean that there are obvious international concerns. If anything the ocean should be treated legally in the same manner as the Antarctic. There may be a place for this activity in the future but none of the political, scientific and ethical problems have even begun to be addressed.

• No not really.

I do not think that the United States should allow companies to have deep sea mining operations of their coasts. I think that would put the animals in the water at danger and expose them to some pollution that they should not have to deal with. It would also hurt their environment.