Do you believe "under God" in the pledge of allegiance should be removed?

Asked by: sjrrj
  • It was not an original piece of the pledge.

It is not fair to force students who do not believe in God to say "under god" especially when America is supposed to be a country where there is separation of church and state and religious freedom which includes the right to not have a religion. Students shouldn't be forced to say something like that.

He isn't our creator, and it is rather unfair towards secularists and atheists and agnostics and etc. The idea that it is freedom OF religion instead of FROM religion is just plain idiotic. I've seen kids taken out of class for not saying it, and I honestly don't want that creepy sky hippie on my currency and pledge.

• It needs to go

The pledge has went through at least two changes.

1st. In 1923, the National Flag Conference called for the words "my Flag" to be changed to "the Flag of the United States", so that new immigrants would not confuse loyalties between their birth countries and the United States. The words "of America" were added a year later. The United States Congress officially recognized the Pledge for the first time, in the following form, on June 22, 1942:

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

2nd. Louis Albert Bowman, an attorney from Illinois, was the first to initiate the addition of "under God" to the Pledge in 1948.

'Under God' was officially added in June 14, 1954

• Not everyone practices the same religion.

In fact, some people don't practice religion at all, so I've never quite understood why God is plastered all over the place. Money, the pledge of allegiance, etc. I've never believed in a God and in middle school I always hated saying the pledge of allegiance. It just doesn't make sense to force me into saying that when I don't believe. What happened to freedom of religion? I feel like making me memorize and recite the pledge is forcing me into some national belief.

• Yes it should...

Isn't religion supposed to stay out of the government? So why is it in the pledge? Also, many students don't believe in god. As a matter of fact, this country is made up of people of different creeds and beliefs so we should have something that accomidates all of that. To add, it wasn't part of the original pledge.

• It show favoritism

When a kindergartner is forced to stand up and say the pledge , with god, they ponder on what he is, than he might become a different religion that what he think is right in his own mind, you just can't make kids say stuff they don't believe in, because they truly (some) believe they are not under god.

• "Under God" was not part of the original

The phrase "Under God" was not added to the Pledge of Allegiance until 1954, from 1921 until 1954 it read, "One nation, indivisible with liberty and justice for all". To use the phrase in a pledge of allegiance in my view makes it sound like God shows favoritism. It is also unfair for atheists.

• US history, Money system and Commonsense

Looking back in US history, most creators of the constitution said that they want people to learn how to read using the Bible. Also if we changed that we would also have to make new coins because if you realize on every American coin it says "In God We Trust" And we could always let the kids who don't want to say it just not say it but say everything else. It is simply commonsense.

• It is the centerpiece of the pledge

There is no more crucial part of the pledge. This is the part of the pledge that reminds me and those who have the courage to say it with me that we own our entire existence to that man, that everything we have comes from him and even if we can't pray to him in school, we can pledge our allegiance to him.

• It serves it's purpose:

The continuity of the nation rides entirely on there being a conjoined force of citizens and while America is not a theocracy it is imperative that the forces of religion and popular philosophy not be foregone in order to protect a minority as the minority, though I hate to admit it, is less important in the direction and governance of a country.

• I'm a patriot! Don't you know what the pledge means?

The pledge isn't something you just say, it's something you shout and be proud of. Under God actually means ANY God, not the Christian God. It's showing the freedom of religion in the nation. Just because one upset atheist doesn't like the word God it means we have to bow to him/her and do everything for them. I have pride in saying the pledge and you should too.

• We shouldn't change the pledge

The pledge of allegiance has always had "under God" in it. Don't you think it would be odd to remove it? Also, why does it matter? I don't know anyone who refuses to say "under God". The majority of the people in the United States are Christians and believe in God.

• It's a central part of the foundation of America.

The founding fathers (who all believed in God) established this country under the principle of a heavenly authority. Belief in God has been a big part of America's coming forth and history. The large majority of America shares this belief, and by taking it out of the pledge it would be like ripping out a part of America. It has always been held that the freedoms America was born with, which were unique at the time and still are, were rights under God. The freedom of speech, freedom to choose and do as you wish, and every other freedom. If you do not want to say the Pledge then don't, that's your agency. If you don't want to say that part of the Pledge then just skip the line. It shouldn't be a big deal. Or you can go to an atheist country like North Korea that does not share the same freedoms we do.

• It shows favoritism

The country is hardly one that actually acts and legislates according to divine and natural law, but having a reminder that there is an authority beyond the State may lead people to consider these issues. They may even be led by official partiality to attempt to make choices motivated by this recognition of the Creator by society.

• Why does it matter?

I know of plenty of atheist who don't care to say "under G-d" in the pledge of allegiance. Furthermore, how does it hurt anyone to say a couple of words they don't like? I know one thing, the people who wouldn't say it wouldn't make it in the military. Smh.

• Nobody is forced to say it

I believe that the pledge of allegiance should not be removed because our Founding Fathers deliberately based their decisions on their belief in freedom OF religion, not freedom FROM religion. If a child or adult does not believe in a god or does not feel comfortable saying the words "under God", they do not have to participate. However, I should be allowed to say it (if I so desire) because of the nation's freedom that the soldiers fought for so bravely.