Do you consider alternative medicine to be a valid method of treatment?

Asked by: Anna1
  • Define "valid" and "treatment"

A person can take whatever they please to ease their ills. A person doesn't have to ease them at all if they don't want. I have a friend who is an aspiring naturopath and to cure a sinus infection he ingested his weight in silver ions or some such (don't ask me how) and did some other hoodoo and stood on his head in a yogic posture for several hours each day and he beat the infection after a little while. Whether his shenanigans had any measurable effect is questionable, but if he consented, and felt it was meaningful, then I am no one to disagree. Why should anyone else?

It goes back to basic human rights. Medicine has been inflated into this monstrosity of an industry and our desire for healthcare and longevity and optimal bodily function has become a perversion in the deepest sense. Before I would advocate any kind of treatment I would first advocate getting to know oneself and how you relate to life, death, and illness. Illness can mean a lot of different things, and we're understanding more and more the interaction between our life choices and the conditions they impose, so more people have alternatives to Medicine with the capital M. I argue that investigating those alternatives helps people feel more connected with their bodies and their lives, instead of handing themselves over to be treated and processed out of their control.

Wellness is a state of mind. Even a dying man can be well.

• Only if it is supported by mainstream medicine.

"Do you know what they call alternative medicine that works? Medicine."

Alternative medicines that haven't been proven to work are no more than placebos and pseudo-science that persuades and deceives people, often vulnerable people suffering from an illness. When it comes to medicine, science will always be necessary before they should be marketed to work.