Do you find it weird that black folks would be offended when told to give their voices on the black experience?

Asked by: Adam2
  • Make up your minds -- which would you prefer someone to say that or someone who will talk crap about your culture -- an elitist

You know it's funny -- how in the hell can black people be offended by that? You know I understand being p*ssed at an arrogant elitist white person who talks crap about black people. Jack Cates, George Juergens. Guys like him. I got this from "Freedom Writers" in which a black girl, named Victoria, is chosen to give her imput on the black struggle, being she's black. Like seriously? If I were black, I'd take that as a priviledge.
    White people have been rewritting black history to make it look horrible. Why the hell would anyone be offended?
    It's only natural to be offended at someone who hates you and wants to keep you out, or wants to enslave you.
    Not someone who wants your input.
    This world is getting weird.

• First, what is the "black experience"?

That's the problem right there. Whoever came up with that term is responsible for the categorization and commodification of African Americans. Rather than recognizing my race as a diverse and variable group, I am treated as though my skin color automatically makes it so that I have lived a certain "experience" separate from everyone else and similar to every other black person in this country. It's not a fair question that looks at me as a human, nor is it stemming from sincerity. It's a question that expects me to speak on behalf of a certain social script set up for me. Do not ask me my input on the "black experience" because I do not know every black person and what their experience is. Instead, ask me what my experience is as a human and whether my skin color has affected that experience in some way.

• 2Sense already covered it.

2Sense covered the core of this.
    I'll tag on some side arguments.
    1. It publicly points out that the student is different in front of all their classmates. I'm aware skin color is very visible, but a typical student isn't constantly thinking about race, and hopefully in a classroom the students aren't all hyper-aware of each other's race.
    2. This puts a lot of pressure on the student. All of a sudden the teacher is expecting them to have something to say about being black - this both generalizes the black experience and insists that this student must have a different experience than their peers.