Do you have any family members or close friends with autistic children?

• Autism Touches the Lives of Most Americans

Autism is so prevalent in the United States that virtually every person has a family member or friend who has a child suffering from the condition. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, one in 68 American children have been diagnosed with autism.

Parents of autistic children almost always need support from friends and family. In addition to the challenges of parenting an autistic child, it also affects families financially. The CDC reports that treating the disorder costs $17,000 a year on the average, with intensive treatment averaging between $40,000 and $60,000 per year.

• My Son Has Autisum

My son who will be 9 years old has autism. He is on the Asperger's spectrum. Some days you don't even know he has this, but other days his "ticks" shine through in more ways then one. He is however, a very smart kid and I am excited to see where the rest of his life takes him.

• I have it. Does that count?

I am high functioning Asperger's Syndrome. Right now I am filling up these fifty words. We've known since when I was five. I get good grades, although people that are lower functioning AS don't do as well. Autism can be helpful for certain things, like attention to detail, but it can also hinder other things, like class lectures.

• No, I don't have any family members or close friends with autistic children

I'm not entirely sure what there is to debate on this specific topic. Either you do or don't have family members or close friends with autistic children, and even if you did, it would be your choice whether or not to reveal that in any public way. I have known autistic children, but I don't know that that information is valuable in any way to anyone other than myself.

• No friends with autistic kids

I do not have any friends with autistic kids. I know that the number of children with the disease has skyrocketed in 15 years, but I still do not know anyone who has it. It is a shame that enough funding hasn't come across for a total cure, but every generation has its diseases to battle.