• Support, love and understanding is crucial:

I think it is abhorrent that one would not sympathise with a bullied child. Whilst I agree that bullying is regrettably part of life and that it is our duty as parents to raise our children to face this reality, to encourage confidence, bravery and a stiff upper lip: it is important also to demonstrate empathy, comfort and understanding.

It breaks my heart to think that children who are made feel hurt, inadequate and isolated by society are furthermore being rejected by their parents and/or loved ones who are practicing some 'tough love' jargon about making them stronger people. Yes, absolutely teach your children how to cope, that's a given...But I'm amazed that some of you don't consider nurture and love to be a given under these circumstances also.

With regards to comments about people going through worse elsewhere and children dying in Africa...I don't even know what to say! Can you imagine the backlash if a doctor told a patient suffering with depression to pull their 'socks up' and were to recommend that they compare their problems to other patients suffering with cruel and debilitating diseases. It would be considered highly unprofessional and would be of huge detriment to the practitioners career.

It's all relative. Racism, predudice, vanity and jealousy among other topics are all facts, faults in fact, within our society. A child growing up in our society is taught that it is important to 'keep up with the Joneses (Kardashians)', to have the perfect waistline etc. They are taught class distinction in terms of race and religion, and that homosexuality is a sin. In a world where people strive for individuality we are bound by social restraints that tell us who we can be and bullies young and old prey on those who deviate from the expected "norm". Yes, famine, poverty and third world problems do ultimately take precedence in severity, however, a child that grows up in western culture, (whilst I'm sure many empathise with third world issues), relate to their own environments and are directly effected by the issues that arise within those environments. Social and interpersonal relationships are hugely important to us as human beings, if we are rejected or isolated by our peers it can cause deep psychological problems. A child that dies of starvation in Africa is no more tragic than a child who has committed suicide on account of bullying.

Also, it must be noted that we all have varying levels of emotional intelligence. A child that is more sensitive is not just weak, and cannot simply 'man up' or be taught to feel differently, but we can teach a bully to be a man, and to think maturely. (Final notes in reply to this comment).

Posted by: K.B
  • First World Problems

Bullying is a first world problem, no question, but when you have stress from home, work, school, and just personal mental issues, you certainly won't be contributing much to society. Bullying is terrible but, I don't think we can do much about it. Address it when it comes, but teach children to cope or to ignore things. No one will protect you as you age, you just have to take it. Either way, I do feel for them. You never know what someone's going through.

• Yes! No! Yes!

Bullied children have been heart broken or punched and in pain and feeling bad about themselves or even wishing they weren't even alive. Sometimes that is what causes depression! I know by experience because I have been bullied and I have watched my friend get cursed and did nothing to stop it.

• Exception Are Not Acceptable

Those who kill themselves are weak of mind, this is not their fault they are born weak of mind. The psychological griefing is often the product of one who merely hates them. Granted, this may be karma (anothertopictodiscuss) nevertheless, bullying is not something to be accepting of. This is due to the fact that as the con says, life is precious and therefore should not have a ruined life.

• Ö̷̪̺́͒͝n̷̜̾̌̑e̷̻͎͇͌͠͝ ̸̯͇̭͑̈́͒̆̋͑͜ẅ̶̙͍̣́ị̶̥͋̽̋̽́͝d̷͇͓̬̬͐ë̶̮̩͔́̉̈́͠ ̴̦̽̎̚b̸͔͆͠o̴̧͈̖̤͌͌̊͊̐î̴̗̹̘̚

V v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v vv v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v vv v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v

Posted by: Yuhh
  • I dont want to be rude here

I don't want to be rude but there are kids in Africa starving to death while these kids just kill themselves over a pair of words. Sure I feel bad for them but there are people going through way much worse in other parts of the world. In the end it's the parents fault on both sides the bullied kid's parent should've raised her children to be less sensitive and the parents of the bully shouldn't have raised an a**hole in their house

• Bullying is Unavoidable

Bullying is unavoidable. There is always going to be bullying, and society would be naive not to think so. However, people will still do you wrong in your adult life, and people can do much worse things to you than harass you about a girl when you're grown up. They can make you lose your job, lose your family, lose your reputation.

You need to know how to stand up for yourself, and, more importantly, you need to be brave enough to be able to tell someone else. A problem shared is a problem halved, after all. Bullying is unavoidable, and so are bad people, in all ages and walks of life. Our kids need to be taught how to stick up for themselves and grow in confidence to tell someone, especially a teacher or a parent.

Bullying is unavoidable. Instead of feeling sympathy for the kids, we need to be focused on giving them the skills they need to be strong in their adult lives. Because if they're being bullied now, they'll be picked on again, and they need to be able to know what to do.