Do you have to be talented to be a successful artist?

• Talent Must Ooze

I believe, in order to be a successful artist, you must ooze talent. The world is full and there are many talented people on this planet. This is especially true of artists and those who are creative. You have no chance of making your way to the top unless you can prove yourself, which is going to take quite a lot of talent.

• In general yes

But I didn't say what talent!

I believe if you want to be a successful artist, you have to be talented on some trade or skill. Preferably the one you wish to be an artist for. For example, Ke$ha is known as an auto-tuning singer who writes her own songs (or atleast co-writes). I personally would NEVER say her songs are lyrically talented. (Some may disagree and she has some off-the-radio tracks that are really good) She sings into an auto-tuner, even live, lacking signing talent in my opinion. But what she does possess is the ability to write to an audience and market "her brand". Ke$ha's production company wants her to be the sleazy, easy pop star...And her song writing and persona (which is part of her brand) expresses that. The Ke$ha talent, in my eyes, is self-marketing and audience appeal. To me, the song writing is weak but the appeal is perfect. She is talented in my opinion....Just not a talented singer/songwriter. (jn theory)

• Talent + motivation= success

Yes, to be a successful artist you have to be good. Nobody wants scribbles hanging on their walls. But being Talented is not enough. You also must be motivated to produce sponsored works that may or may not interest you and have good people skills in order to convince people to buy those works.

• Why am I not a successful artist yet!?

I've been seeking all the help I can get to help me become a successful artist/designer, there seems to be lots of opportunities out there for emerging artists like bursaries and mentoring. Why is this the case though, surely you wouldn't need any of that help if you were purely talented and the work you made could sell itself. Which makes me think I must not be all that good as I need the help, and my work isn't exactly selling itself.

Sometimes I don't care about the background and ideas around a piece of art work, I just like to look at it and appreciate the design as it is.
    Who decides what is good art and what is bad? Are we all just sheep and copy each others taste in art, buying a piece of art just because their friends have heard of the artist...

• No. All you need is some luck and public speaking skills

I don't think I have to point out the stupidness of some of today's "artists". Without naming any names, I would like to do a facepalm to their followers.

Do tell me I can't tell talent. Because I do any thing they do better. Splash some paint on a canvas. Volla, million dollar piece. Write some profanity laced songs with groanworthy puns. Say it. Yay million dollar album.

That's not to say there aren't talented artists out there. Some genres I don't like, but the artists in there are pretty good at what they do.

• Look at the Simpsons!

The artist for that show was actually the worst in all of his schools! I should know, I read his autobiography! But look at this guy now! He is a millionaire! So no, you do not have to be talented! Also, I'm not the best in my class, but I got into the top five for a tee-shirt design contest! No I did not win, but out of 200 other kids, that is pretty good! Please, don't be discouraged if you are not good at art, there are role models all around you! Heck! Don't be talented, do your worst is what the Simpsons artist said. So no, you do not have to be a talented artist in order to succeed !

• NOT NECCESARILY SO

I don't think that talent is everything in success although I am sure it is a factor. I'm sure luck plays a role having the right connections persistence motivation tenacity dedication self-drive all factor into the right equation so to speak. I'm a struggling songwriter myself(amongst other things)and although whether or not I have talent is up for debate,I think that there are other criteria and standards for success. There are a lot of talented artists that are not successful,and a lot of successful artists that are not talented. So,again,it's up for interpretation what one defines as "successful".

• Define successful, Its definition could change totally my vote

If you define successful to be famous, recognized. Yes, you need luck and ability to fool people.
    If you define successful to be good artist, create good artwork, preparing the terrain for other artists, well, You really NEED a lot of talent, skills, hard work, dedication, motivation, at least.

I think the question was about the first definition, so I voted no.

Posted by: karv
  • No, not exactly.

Sadly, the age of autotune has shown us that you do not NEED talent to be successful. However, this is a subjective answer. To be considered a successful artist by other artists, yes.. You need talent. To be a social or media success and make sales, all you need is a catchy gimmick.

• No, not exactly.