Do you know what rhetoric means? Christian answer (yes) atheist answer. (no)

Asked by: Gamapo
  • Rhetoric is .......

I have heard that rhetoric is the art of persuading the hearts and emotions of others, but i want to know if there are any other answers. Now I'm just trying to get some words in. Only 12 more to go! Boy, don't you think they should shorten the limit?

• Why is this even split between religious and non-religious?

Is there even a difference of opinion here? This should be a fairly objective definition. I think rhetoric is exactly what it is defined as:

: language that is intended to influence people and that may not be honest or reasonable

-- or --

: the art or skill of speaking or writing formally and effectively especially as a way to persuade or influence people

• An Atheist Who Knows Rhetoric

Rhetoric -
    the art of effective or persuasive speaking or writing, especially the use of figures of speech and other compositional techniques.

I'm not sure why this is split up to make atheists answer that they don't know what rhetoric is. If anything, atheists would be more educated on rhetoric due to the fact that they read outside of fiction books.