Do you like landmark buildings? Why/why not?

Asked by: Adam2
  • Yes. They are a major symbol

Landmark buildings like the Empire State Building are treasures that took a long time to build. They are very valuable, and show the history of the country. Why should we get rid of speacial buildings that have such a large meaning? We shouldn't. We need to preserve thosse historic landmarks.

• They differentiate cities from one another

I like them for a couple of reason.
    Without landmarks, all cities will start looking alike, that is boring. In my mind landmarks are no different than local cuisine, or fashion. Their main purpose, I believe, is to give their cities an identity, and are often inspired by local culture/architecture.
    They are tourist attractions. That means $$$ for local business, and economy. Without them, all skylines will look identical and there won't be much incentive or desire to explore and travel. It is said by 2050, 80% of the world population will live in urban areas. Imagine similar post cards from cities in Europe/NA.

• Useful in many ways

Landmark buildings are usually very tall and/or very big. The physical features of these buildings provides several benefits for society. First of all, it acts as a guidance tool for those who does not have a GPS handy. There are people who does not have a strong sense of direction, and having a landmark building can reduce the possibility of being lost in a big city. Secondly, landmark buildings can be built very tall like skyscrapers - consequently saving much needed space.

• No. Why do you ask?

I hate landmark buildings. They take up so much space. But then again they do hold a lot of wealth and tourists. . . . . . . . . . . . . I might crash a plane into one at some point. Just Kidding. They are pretty much eyesores though.

• Not a big fan

I don't like buildings that have observation decks. I find landmark buildings pointless and silly. I don't know why, I just don't like them too much. I don't care for them. I never understood the craze behind them. I love skyscrapers, but I love it if they're commercial buildings. If I want landmarks, I'll go to a museum and have fun there.