• As much as I can.

I get all my clothes from the Army Navy Store here which has a bunch of Carhartt clothes, boots, and jackets. I usually shop at a store called Lanier's Hardware for everything else. I shop a Food-Lion for groceries because there's no locally owned grocery stores here. I'm probably in Walmart like once or twice a month and I don't buy much. I go to a local gun store every Friday and routinely buy my 5 packs of 20 5.56x45 ammo every week like I've been doing for the past over two years now. I pay my Snap-on and Matco tool bills every week.

• I support locally owned businesses.

I am definitely a supporter of locally owned
    businesses. Some of the best goods and
    services can be bought from locally owned businesses. I believe that supporting locally owned
    businesses shows that you take pride in your city. We all have to do our part to make sure that
    these small businesses stay open.

• Some of my favorite shops!

While the area where I live is abundant with the typical array of big-box stores – Best Buy, Target, Walmart and so on – there are also a lot of really fantastic small businesses, but you have to know where to look. The prices are often similar to what you find at the larger stores, and the locally owned businesses often specialize in a particular type of merchandise that you just can't find anywhere else. I don't just shop at the locally owned stores, though; I'll go to the chain supermarket when I need regular stuff like bread and milk, but I'll go to the locally owned deli when I want the cheeses and meats that I can only get from there -- or I'll stop by the farmer's market if there's fresh produce in season that I want to get.