Do you think a person's susceptibility to obesity is truly genetic?

• Not to all, but there are people that are born genetically predisposed to becoming obese, and it is evident from birth.

When my daughter was born, I knew just by her body shape that she was going to be obese, and it turned out that she was diagnosed as genetically obese, and now at the age of 6 is in a constant struggle with her weight. While her eating habits and desires are different from children her age, we have been strict with her caloric intake, yet, she is still obese. Now we are not stringent, but I can safely say she does not eat too much more than children her age, although if we would allow her to, she would.

• It's in the genes to be over weight not obese

As science has shown, it is in the genes for a person's general size and composition. It is NOT in a persons genes to be morbidly obese. Those who say, I know a girl, she's obese, and so is her mom and her aunt. Well, sorry to tell you, but eating habits are learned from family. Obese people 'want' to be around more obese people. Not consciously but they still do it. They over eat in front of their kids, kids pick it up and learn to over eat. They learn also to use food as comfort. They learn food choices, a double cheeseburger with a large fries and extra large soda, kids pick that up as ok. A parent doesn't find this bad because it's like them, It makes me them feel comfortable. No need to correct whats 'not wrong', right? The reason for the obesity is a choice to not do otherwise. To not stop eating at a 2nd serving, to eat a gallon ice cream, not a bowl. Obesity isn't genetic, being overweight(within reason)/ not slender is. There's a reason why there isn't a lot of people in our 100 years past to today that were this obese. They couldn't be, didn't have the amount of food or time to sit in front of the tv like people do today. I've also personally witnessed very overweight children of obese parents, try to learn new habits and try to make a change, and their parents, thinking mostly of themselves, pretending its for their kid, sabotage it with hurtful comments, that will stick in their child's mind forever. Never showing support. Why should my kid lose weight when I never could, or no one ever supported me for that, why should I support someone else? It's a dangerous cycle of emotional insecurity and selfishness that has allowed people in our society to use something that is true, body composition, for an excuse to be in a state of health that is literally akin to committing suicide, very slowly, over extended years.

• Science has demonstrated genetics play one, if not the only, factor in being susceptible to obesity.

As science explores the rise in obesity, evidence points to genetic factors, like hormonal levels and fat cells, as a factor. Hunger is often the result of hormonal levels, and people inherit their hormonal profile from their parents. Of course, having a tendency towards obesity does not mean you have no choice but to follow in your parents' footsteps.

Posted by: P3nrIin
  • I do think a person's susceptibility to obesity is truly genetic, because most obese people have other close relatives that are also obese or overweight.

Even though genetics makes a person susceptible to obesity, it does not mean they have to be obese. Most obese people fight weight issues all their life. Some succeed, and others fail, but many keep trying. There are many people whose families are slim, and they don't exercise too much or overeat. They seem to have an inclination to not be addicted to food. I believe, if you look at alcoholics' genetic makeup in the brain, as far as addiction is noted, there is new evidence on brain scans that obese patients are also addicted to food, which shows up on brain scans, as well.

Posted by: TremendousCornelius99
  • Yes I just got done reading a report for my Biology class.

It stated that after looking at the genes of 12 "fit" people and 12 "obese" people they found 3 genes missing in all 12 "obese" people, that the all 12 "fit" people had. Also their is such thing as a "fatpoint" which means that once your body stays a certain weight for a long period of time. It wants to stay that weight, making you want to eat more when you start working out and losing weight. Their is also your metabolism, some people have a fast metabolism. Some have slow metabolisms. Of course you can change your metabolism with your eating habits and exercise, but you are born with either a fast, average, or slow metabolism and have to work to change that. So yes it is genetic.

• To maintain that genetics plays no role in obesity, in general, is to deny the evidence of experience and research alike.

While the expression of genes is mediated through one's environment and one's choices, the genetic predisposition to obesity is apparent both from scientific research and from everyday observation. One person may eat robustly on a regular basis with nary a care about weight gain and evince little interest in exercise, yet remain thin, while another may conscientiously limit meal sizes and exercise diligently in accordance with a regular schedule and become overweight or even obese. Metabolisms differ from person to person. None of this is to deny that a well-designed diet and exercise program can allow many people to lose (or gain) weight if they wish, but having some control over one's weight hardly invalidates the role of genes and other biological factors.

Posted by: M4I4cFeIine
  • I believe that there is a genetic link to obesity.

If your biological parents are obese, does that mean you will be obese? No, not necessarily. It does, however, increase the probability that you will become overweight as an adult. Adoption studies that look at a person's adopted parents and their biological parents have shown that there's a link between genetics and obesity - it is not just environmental. On top of this, some ethnicity, especially Native American cultures, have a greater disposition to becoming overweight. Genetics could be one explanation.

Posted by: 54ndDavi
  • Scientists have proven that certain genetic factors can predispose some people to obesity.

Scientists have proven that certain genetic factors can predispose some people to obesity. This is not to say that obesity is not preventable. Lifestyle choices certainly contribute to obesity but certain people, because of a genetic predisposition, will have to work harder in order to prevent obesity. There is no denying that people in the United States are getting fatter and genetics is not the only factor, but it is one of them.

Posted by: NatBIab
  • Susceptibility to obesity is genetic just like height, eye color, etc. It is linked to traits passed on by parents.

Whether the traits that cause obesity are recessive or dominant is irrelevant, but it is easy to compare how those traits are similar to genetic traits such as eye color, height, or other genetic traits that we know are part of the human genetic code. Though I believe it is genetic, it I don't believe that it can't be managed. One may be susceptible to obesity just like one may be more prone to heart disease because of family health history, but measures can be taken to prevent both issues.

Posted by: KI3Grundy
  • I agree that susceptibility to obesity is in part genetic.

I think that certain people are genetically prone to obesity. I think that different metabolic rates are influenced by the genes we inherit, and that different people's systems process different foods like sugars, fats, and carbohydrates in different ways. I also think that a contributing factor to obesity is not a matter of nature, but one of nurture. I think that obese parents tend of have obese children in part because of genetics, but also because the parents teach the children how to eat, what to eat, and how to regard food in general.

Posted by: Shim2free
  • Change the diet to lose weight

It is true that if you are born with 2 obese parents then you are more likely to be obese yourself, but I don't agree with the "it's in my genes" scenario. A lifestyle change in dietary habits has to go alongside a more rigorous exercise regime to halt the weight gain.
    Yes there are enormous pressures environmentally to gain weight, but willpower and effort are needed to counteract I this.

• Genetics is one of a very complicated network of factors which affect obesity.

http://www.shiftn.com/obesity/Full-Map.html
    The link posted shows work done in 2007 by the Obesity Taskforce in the UK to try and 'map' all of the factors which contributes to obesity. Take a look - although genetics certainly do play a part there are many other factors which influence and genetics is only part of the picture.

• I believe if you have an obese family that doesn't mean you will be ..

You can control what you eat if your family doesn't eat healthy that doesn't mean you cant be a healthy person. You can control the portion size and what you eat .. Maybe if you did control what you eat it will inspire your family to eat better to .. So I believe no it doesn't come from genetics

• No it's not, because if it was then don't tell me that nearly the whole American population have a genetic predisposition to obesity!

To a certain extent it might be true that the more fat cells you have from childhood obesity can affect your weight loss efforts. However, I cannot entirely blame that parents pass on bad genes. Because if this is the case, explain how some obese parents have 5-10 year old children who are super skinny, yet as they age they become older, they eventually become obese like themselves? That means they are following the same lifestyle habits of their parents!

Also I actually think it is a marketing conspiracy to discourage obese people to lose weight so that these shopping centres earn more money off them! Nearly the whole of the United States are obese! So it would be stupid to assume that all of these people have a genetic disorder predisposed to obesity!

Cut out junk food, cut out 100% transport dependency, start counting calories and you will see how your weight plunges. Children aren't doing any exercise nowadays. You can tell by the fact that they stay at home playing video games instead of going outside to play outdoor activities.

I know for myself when I was overweight for 4-5 years after the age of 18 before that I was always in my normal BMI range. And it was entirely my blame. I was addicted to video games staying infront of my PC for 8-12 hours with hardly any movement. Started munching on 5 extra packets of potato crisps which is about 1000 calories. I was gaining 3 KG per year and in 5 years 15 KG weight.

In 1 year I cut out all of the ready salted crisps and guess what? I lost 10 KG weight spontaneously without any additional diet or exercise. Then with exercise and a mild dieting counting 1600 calories I lost another 15 KG in 4 months with mild exercise on a mini stair stepping machine for 20-40 minutes and 2 hours of briskly walking. Now I'm down to a BMI 20 slashing 25 KG of weight and have no hunger cravings whatsoever since my fat cells have shrunken. I used to consume 3000+ calories, now I struggle to eat more than 1750 calories a day!

If obese people gave just quarter the effort like myself, then they would achieve amazing results. They're just not changing their attitude and until they don't stop eating like pigs every 5 minutes and stop consuming 5000+ calories a day then they can't bloody dare to blame their genes or their metabolism! It is food addiction just like drugs, alcohol and cigarettes and even that can be overcome if you take drastic measures. If you consume 4500 calories instead of 5000 see if you're not gonna lose a pound per week, I can guarantee you that you will lose tons of weight doing that!

You have a brain to think that you aren't gonna consume more than 2000 calories a day. Then it is impossible to become overweight or obese!

• If genetics was a factor, do you think nearly all American people who are overweight-obese genetically predisposed to being overweight-obesity?!

In 1 year I cut out all of the ready salted crisps and guess what? I lost 10 KG weight spontaneously. Then with exercise and a mild dieting counting 1600 calories I lost another 15 KG in 4 months with mild exercise on a mini stair stepping machine for 20-40 minutes and 2 hours of briskly walking. Now I'm down to a BMI 20 slashing 25 KG of weight and have no hunger cravings whatsoever since my fat cells have shrunken. I used to consume 3000+ calories, now I struggle to eat more than 1750 calories a day!

If obese people gave just quarter the effort like myself, then they would achieve amazing results. They're just not changing their attitude and until they don't stop eating like pigs every 5 minutes and stop consuming 5000 calories a day then they can't bloody dare to blame their genes or their metabolism! It is food addiction just like drugs, alcohol and cigarettes and even that can be overcome if you take drastic measures. If you consume 4500 calories instead of 5000 see if you're not gonna lose a pound per week, I can guarantee you that you will lose tons of weight doing that!

• The treadmill is calling your name!

We have become a society that sits in their car to work, sits at work for 8-10 hours, sits in the car back from work, sits down for dinner. And by then we are are just sooo tired from our long exhausting day to do anything. Bike to work, take the stairs up to your office, take a walk after dinner. Then your stamina will go up and you might not be so exhausted.

Svetlana

• Lifestyle & Behavioural choices

Were there any genetically obese individuals in the millions of people incarcerated in the war camps during world wars? .... There are No records indeed photographic evidence shows ALL persons in concentration camps were emaciated. Is genetic obesity a modern day phenomenon? - maybe it is because of lifestyle choices.

• It is a culture

Most of the studies are your parents are overweight and so are you. That is a result of the culture you were born into. Your parents did not care about what they eat so why should you? The only genetics involved may be Hypothyroidism but that does not affect nearly as many people as it claims to. Also there is medicine for Hypothyroidism.

• What you are is what you put in your mouth.

Anybody that eat too much junk food and live a sedentary lifestyle gain weight. What you are is what what you eat. Exercise is how you maintain a healthy lifestyle. It is hard. That's why not everybody is doing it. But if you really want it, then just do it. That SIMPLE!

• Lifestyle causes obesity, not genetics.

While it's true that genetics does play a role in body weight, for instance a person may have a slight genetic predisposition to be more efficient at storing adipose tissue, produce less of the satiety hormone that tells them when they are full, have a tendency towards insulin insensitivity or reduced thermogenesis relative to another person, etc., these play only a minor role when one takes into consideration the vast control that human beings have over their diet, nutritional habits, and activity level.

Obese people, if they are committed to a healthy lifestyle, nutrition and fitness plan (even a 30 min. walk a few days a week!) can lose a significant amount of weight and achieve a leaner physique without feeling starved. It's as simple as adding more fruits and vegetables to their daily diet, choosing lighter substitutes in snacks and meals, and saving the things they really crave for treats once a week instead of huge quantities on a regular basis, for example. For everyone who endeavors to slim down it's a matter of trial and error, and a plan or tip that works for one person may have to be tweaked by another. Just as the dietary weaknesses that facilitated one's excess body fat are unique, so are the staples of the plan which should be recommended, according to what types of food each person prefers and requires in order to stick to the plan (a pasta lover would be better advised to switch to whole wheat and add more lean protein, and vegetables to the dish than to drastically limit or cut out carbs altogether, which would be setting them up for failure, or a major binge, for example.)

The point is, the individual struggling with their weight must make a concentrated effort and not give into excuses or descend into all or nothing thinking. Small changes have cumulative benefits and can lead to big results over time. Furthermore, an obese person is likely to see faster results and more dramatic weight loss initially due to their higher BMR, which should be very motivating. Plenty of formerly obese people are now fit and active and maintaining their success, and are an inspiration to others.

They prove every day that obesity isn't some incurable disease that some people are stricken with. Barring hypothyroidism or some severe metabolic deficiency, obesity is determined by a complex set of factors, the genetic component being completely overshadowed by the choices one makes.

This is clear and has been illustrated time and time again in the real world. Hopefully more people will become empowered to make changes for the better and forge a better future for themselves.

Quan says2013-06-25T13:22:00.717
You can be genetically or medically predisposed toward obesity, but obesity itself is not a genetic or medical disorder. You may have to work harder at it, but your weight can always be controlled by diet and exercise. All of the medical problems that are blamed for "causing" obesity are treatable. You can make all of the excuses you want, but it ultimately comes down to personal responsibility.