Do you think by calling the Klan redneck, you are underestimating them?

Asked by: Adam2
  • Sterotypes may fit, but there is always more

Narrowing any one person or group of people down to a single quality is ignorant and careless. Writing the Klan off as hillbillies or rednecks, though it may be true in regards to some members, means that the organization is not being taken seriously enough. This leaves them wide open to potentially create more damage under the radar.

• The Southern Argument for Slavery http://www.Ushistory.Org/us/27f.Asp

I am not sure I get the reference to “redneck” and the KKK or how that is underestimating them.

The KKK is about White Supremacy; it has nothing to do with being a redneck.

Definition of “redneck”:

"A citation from 1893 provides a definition as "poorer inhabitants of the rural districts...Men who work in the field, as a matter of course, generally have their skin stained red and burnt by the sun, and especially is this true of the back of their necks."

The First Klan 1865-1874, was created by six well-educated Confederate veterans from Pulaski, Tennessee on December 23, 1865, during the Reconstruction of the South after the Civil War. Confederate Brigadier General George Gordon developed the Prescript, or Klan dogma, which was basically the belief in White Supremacy. General Nathan Bedford Forrest became the Grand Wizard.

To call these six well-educated Confederate veterans “rednecks” would be wrong. To understand this properly, you must understand why the Civil War was fought.

“White Supremacy and Terrorism”

“White supremacy is the belief that white people are superior to others because of their race. Prior to the Civil War, racism and white supremacy had been common attitudes in both the North and the South. After the Emancipation Proclamation, when Union troops began to fight for the abolishment of slavery, Northern attitudes shifted slightly, and many felt that blacks deserved equal legal rights and equal protection, even if they were not considered socially equal.”

“In the South, however, white supremacists did not believe blacks should have any such rights. During Reconstruction, white supremacists formed political and social groups to promote whites and oppress blacks, and to enact laws that codified inequality. The Ku Klux Klan (founded in 1865) and the Knights of the White Camellia (1867) were secret groups, while members of the White League (1874) and the Red Shirts (1875) were publically known. All four groups used violence to intimidate blacks and Republican voters. Their efforts succeeded, and with the end of Reconstruction in 1877, white supremacy became the reality of the South.”

“Defenders of slavery argued that slavery had existed throughout history and was the natural state of mankind. Defenders of slavery noted that in the Bible, Abraham had slaves. They point to the Ten Commandments, noting that "Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's house, ... Nor his manservant, nor his maidservant." In the New Testament, Paul returned a runaway slave, Philemon, to his master, and, although slavery was widespread throughout the Roman world, Jesus never spoke out against it. ”

So, the KKK was created because the Confederacy lost the Civil War.

It is sad the white supremacists groups still exist. There are hundreds of different white supremacists groups in the World, here are just some on my list:

American Nazi Party
    Aryan Nations - USA
    Tea Party Members
    Libertarian Party Members
    Aryan Guard - Canada
    National Socialist Party of Canada
    Blood and Honour - UK
    National Democratic Party of Germany
    SUMKA – Iran

• No, not at all.

I think it's an appropriate terms for a group of right-wingers with no education or a sense of diversity. I think their view is highly outdated not that in my opinion it has ever been acceptable to be racist but on the contrary everyone is entitled to their views and to practice them peacefully which is something that I can assure everyone the Klu Klux Klan isn't doing. They have been known to murder African-American citizens as well as Jews, Catholics and Hispanics.

They're an Americanized SS division as far as I am concerned.

• Inbread cowardly psycopaths.

What a waste of linen! Cowards the civil war was lost 150 years ago! Slavery was wrong and education for should have been embraced! Marrying generational cousins in not healthy for the gene pool. The South was never that great and it lost thank god. KKK is repulsive and deep down they know it other wise they would not rely on ambush mob strength or hide behind secret titles or bed sheets. Wizard the only wizard who should have a cult following is Harry Potter or Gadoff. Down with the evil KKK. Breed out of isolation and strengthen the gene pool. Oh and go to school and learn about evolution and science rather than your Grandaddy/Great Uncle's vintage bible. KKK nay nay nay!

• The "Klan" is stupid

Of course they are. They are individuals who think are above every other race in the world. People like this are actually shown to have lower IQ's. The term "redneck" basically refers to poor, un-educated white farmers and it seems like many of members of this group would that description.

Jonbonbon says2013-12-12T22:32:58.213
Sometimes I can't tell why the f*** you make these things.
Adam2 says2013-12-12T22:34:18.917
You got a f**king problem with my question?
Adam2 says2013-12-12T22:36:46.410
*"Redneck" is an insulting term. The Klan sure as Hell wasn't rednecks, and it downplays the severity of the horrible things the Klan did.
Adam2 says2013-12-12T22:36:53.197
You get it now?
Adam2 says2013-12-12T22:37:22.577
That doesn't make them dumb
Adam2 says2013-12-12T22:37:37.250
Evil is what they were, and by saying redneck, one insults the real victims of the Klan
Adam2 says2013-12-12T22:37:45.477
By downplaying severity
Adam2 says2013-12-12T22:38:05.223
The KKK is alive and there are still evil people out there who would harm another because of their race, their beliefs or their religion.
Jonbonbon says2013-12-12T22:38:23.943
No it just doesn't make them smart either XD
Adam2 says2013-12-12T22:39:13.550
I don't underestimate the KKK. I don't know what they're capable of doing.
Adam2 says2013-12-12T22:39:35.257
They may not rule America, but if given the chance they would do it again.
Jonbonbon says2013-12-12T22:39:36.317
It's not hard to get a bunch of people who agree with you to rally around the idea you all agree on.
Adam2 says2013-12-12T22:40:06.723
Why did you curse me out?
Jonbonbon says2013-12-12T22:46:28.580
Because I think this poll is stupid just like most other questions I see you post.
Adam2 says2013-12-12T23:59:34.247
Jonbonbon, are you being sarcastic or is that how you feel?
Jonbonbon says2013-12-13T01:14:25.810
Lol I'm a troll. Automatically assume I'm joking when I'm being a b****
Adam2 says2013-12-13T01:14:56.917
Adam2 says2013-12-13T01:16:31.017
I meant of "Because I think this poll is stupid just like most other questions I see you post."
Adam2 says2013-12-13T01:16:41.360
Were you being sarcastic then?
Jonbonbon says2013-12-13T01:17:37.973
Lol yes. Don't worry. Although sometimes it's true I have no idea what you're trying to make your questions about.
Adam2 says2013-12-13T01:18:45.553
Sorry I hate sarcasm.
Jonbonbon says2013-12-13T01:21:57.590
Well we probably shouldn't be friends then XD