Do you think everyone is born bisexual and society conditions us to become heterosexual?

Asked by: chrumbelievable
  • Where do genes come into sexuality?

The ultimate idea here is about the genes of sexuality. The idea of genes being able to pick up on the nuances of male and female is an absurd notion. Who we're attracted to forms during people's younger years while the brain is still malleable and locks in place later in life. So what rules out the people are innately bisexual rather than, say, asexual? Again, nature. Animals raised in isolation will still desire sex. Thus, I believe that at birth, everyone is at a stage of preliminary bisexuality and that during childhood peoples' sexualites are molded to the nuances of gender.

• Humans are a bisexual species

I believe we are, but what I think happens for all of us to varying degree is that for reproductive purposes, we're naturally attracted to the opposite sex.... But over time the other side comes along. We're a sexual creature but we're also the earth's most complex social creature. I agree with others in stating that immense social, moral & religious based pressures tend to influence us to suppress those desires.

• Humans are a bisexual species

• History and personal thought

Historically the human persona has always been that of the bosexual with ancient greece, rome, japan, america, and asia among others that had pretense that allowed for and saw bosexuality as a "norm". One could argue society then enforced bisexuality and that lead to the increase, but that would only support societies role in sexual identification. During ancient rome it was a norm until christianity and the government suppressed it, and lead it to be an outcast idea to have any form of homosexuality. The idea that sexuality is exclusive requires us to also come to the innate conclusion that we as humans also have full control over our emotions, and no one would support that ideal. Humanity is all what the brian makes us, and its blind to gender, and therefore it leaves us open to a relationship on a romantic level with any human being. Only thing stopping this is pretext established by society, and religion.

• We are all born Pansexual.

Society conditions us from the moment we are born to act, think and feel a certain way. When we strip these expectations away and truly act on impulse and instinct we are attracted to energy and personality. The reason i say pansexual is because bisexual refers to only male and female and the concept of innate bisexuality was coined when there was only thought to be two genders. We have soon realised there is much more to gender than biological differences. However we know that human brains are all structurally and physically identical except for special cases and certain disabilities. Gender is what we identify with and what makes us who we are but at the end of the day it is just a social construct. So if brains have no gender then love also has no gender as we source love from our brains as we do sexual attraction. We are just directed towards a certain gender all our lives and this usually leads to us thinking we are born heterosexual or homosexual, depending on your context. But in saying this i do believe that some people are not attracted to a certain gender because they don't consider it as an option and are not willing to act on impulse and ignore what they have been taught all their lives. They don't keep an open mind about it so they never even consider experiencing or trying to experience it. So i think people can be heterosexual and homosexual but i don't think anyone is born with a preference. I do think that sexuality is fluid and that people have the capability to change their own minds.

• The capacity to love both genders

Bisexuality is the feelings, thoughts and experiences that we have in relation to males and females. It is more natural that we be able to connect with both males and females on an emotional, mental, social and sexual level than with just one gender exclusively. However in the case of Bisexuality it is things like Heteronormativity and Biophobia that oppresses Bisexuality.

• In my opinion, we are all born bisexual.

I believe that everyone is born bisexual. We are molded from day one by parents and society to fit a social norm. As we get older peer pressure Pushes us to conform, to fit in. Not just to be straight, but to choose sides. I've heard the phrase,"There's no such thing as bi, you're either gay or straight!" from both sides, or "You're not bi, you're just confused." I think, without the pressure, we would tend more towards a sexual "middle ground" rather than repression or rebellion in regards to our sexual desires.

• Human Nature is our past our present and our future

All you have to do is look back in history and you will see time and time again the human species has always had heterosexual and homosexual relations. At our core we are bisexual as we call it today. We are sexual animals, sex feels good, its primal instinct. Humans have fears of judgement that scope our frame of reference that determines the way we act in certain situations. More people are open to it and more open to being the true human beings we are and some people are closed off and believe these relations are un natural. But we have to realize we are all humans first. And we will always have sex with eachother its life. Most men and women would be ok with having same sex relations if the situation they were given felt right.

• Yes. Everyone is born bisexual.

We are taught from a young age our roles, "girls wear dresses and play with dolls, then grow up and have babies. Boys play with trucks, cannot have long hair or wear pink, then grow up to be the man of the house." We are also taught that we can only be Gay or Straight. Not many people tell their children about their third option. Children/ young adults push aside their attraction to the same sex in order to be straight.

• Yes. Everyone is born bisexual.

• How about : a) evolutionary needs to reproduce b) gay guys/ lesbians!!

Whilst I do believe that bisexuals are far more common than people who are totally homosexual, I still think that a majority of the population is genuinely heterosexual. Although I have read a quite feasible theory that suggests we are all born bisexual, and specific orientation develops from the ages of 5 till just after puberty, which does align with research that also says orientation is a product of social, cultural and biological factors, and not just any one factor. I think ancient greek society might be a good example of where this can be proved, as male-male relationships and sex was highly revered and very common, suggesting that the cultural norms allowed for men to develop in these early stages in a way that would facilitate the development of bisexuality/homosexuality in a majority of the population. Another tribe that actually still exists also practices homosexuality amongst all males till the end of puberty when a man must marry a woman and reproduce, which again supports this idea. Whilst the 'Born this way' validates the identity of many, and is to some extent true, I genuinely think social factors could have an effect on the development of sexual orientation to some extent. However, it is just not reasonably to suggest everyone is bisexual to some degree, even if everyone is stimulated by just sex in general regardless of gender, i think romantic attraction in same-sex relationships just has to be a characteristic of a minority of the human population mainly for evolutionary purposes. Also I feel like the arguments of the 'yes' camp that 'straight' people are just suppressing the same-sex desires because of societal norms seems a bit silly. It's true that many queer people suppress their identities due to the pressures of acceptance but surely this is not the case for the majority of the population? Those making this arument might stop in their tracks of they realised this suggestion is somewhat problematic in regards to the identities of gay/lesbian people who are probably not a big fan of this argument. ALSO, person who said bisexuality is based on what foods you eat, wtf??? How many chicken nuggets will it take for me to unhinge my lesbian-ism I wonder...

• Evolution? Invalidating? 'yes' camp think again

Whilst I do believe that bisexuals are far more common than people who are totally homosexual, I still think that a majority of the population is genuinely heterosexual. Although I have read a quite feasible theory that suggests we are all born bisexual, and specific orientation develops from the ages of 5 till just after puberty, which does align with research that also says orientation is a product of social, cultural and biological factors, and not just any one factor. I think ancient greek society might be a good example of where this can be proved, as male-male relationships and sex was highly revered and very common, suggesting that the cultural norms allowed for men to develop in these early stages in a way that would facilitate the development of bisexuality/homosexuality in a majority of the population. Another tribe that actually still exists also practices homosexuality amongst all males till the end of puberty when a man must marry a woman and reproduce, which again supports this idea. Whilst the 'Born this way' validates the identity of many, and is to some extent true, I genuinely think social factors could have an effect on the development of sexual orientation to some extent. However, it is just not reasonably to suggest everyone is bisexual to some degree, even if everyone is stimulated by just sex in general regardless of gender, i think romantic attraction in same-sex relationships just has to be a characteristic of a minority of the human population mainly for evolutionary purposes. Also I feel like the arguments of the 'yes' camp that 'straight' people are just suppressing the same-sex desires because of societal norms seems a bit silly. It's true that many queer people suppress their identities due to the pressures of acceptance but surely this is not the case for the majority of the population? Those making this arument might stop in their tracks of they realised this suggestion is somewhat problematic in regards to the identities of gay/lesbian people who are probably not a big fan of this argument.

• To say 'yes' is invalidating of many.

I think this suggestion is somewhat problematic in regards to the identities of gay/lesbian people. Whilst I do believe that bisexuals are far more common than people who are totally homosexual, I still think that a majority of the population is genuinely heterosexual. Although I have read a quite feasible theory that suggests we are all born bisexual, and specific orientation develops from the ages of 5 till just after puberty, which does align with research that also says orientation is a product of social, cultural and biological factors, and not just any one factor. I think ancient greek society might be a good example of where this can be proved, as male-male relationships and sex was highly revered and very common, suggesting that the cultural norms allowed for men to develop in these early stages in a way that would facilitate the development of bisexuality/homosexuality in a majority of the population. Another tribe that actually still exists also practices homosexuality amongst all males till the end of puberty when a man must marry a woman and reproduce, which again supports this idea. Whilst the 'Born this way' validates the identity of many, and is to some extent true, I genuinely think social factors could have an effect on the development of sexual orientation to some extent. However, it is just not reasonably to suggest everyone is bisexual to some degree, even if everyone is stimulated by just sex in general regardless of gender, i think romantic attraction in same-sex relationships just has to be a characteristic of a minority of the human population mainly for evolutionary purposes

• I obviously can't speak for everybody but in my personal experience yes and no.

Im certainly no expert on the subject but I distinctly remember having sexual fantasies about both men and women as a child, but somewhere during puberty lost the attraction towards women (I'm female, myself). However, I don't believe that it was society conditioning me to be heterosexual, rather that straight was the conclusion my brain decided on for whatever reason.

• No, since we were intended to be heterosexual

I think nature intended for us to be heterosexual, since it is only possible to have a baby through a female/male pairing and not a single sex one. However, I think society does play a part, and I probably would have realized my own bisexuality sooner if I hadn't have been influenced by society.

• Everyone is born heterosexual

I truly believe that everyone in society is born heterosexual and based and what their parents teach them and what foods they eat they can possibly become bisexual. Everyone is either born male or female, so the hormones are in place already. The society is what instills in our minds or gives us the idea that we might be bisexual, but otherwise no one is really that way.

• Nature Versus Nurture

Experiences and genetic predispositions both determine the outcomes of people's lives as they grow older. Until there is a specific gene or trait found in the human genome that determines our sexual preferences, bisexuality must be considered part nature and nurture. There is nothing wrong with homosexuality in and of itself because you can't help with whom you fall in love.