Do you think food safety courses are valued enough in the food service industry so that they prevent enough hazardous situations?

• It is rare.

Yes, I think that food safety courses are valued enough in the food serve industry so that they prevent enough hazardous situations, because really food safety issues are rare. There is no way to prevent every single food safety issue, or none of us would have any food at all. Something can always go wrong.

• Food safety courses are a joke

When I got my very first job as a teenager I worked at McDonalds for a Summer. The totallity of my food safety training involved a 30 minute long orientation video and a 5 minute lecture from a dude named Lenny. And with this, I was placed in charge of a portion of the American public's food supply.

At the time, I didn't think anything of it. Now, as an adult, I find it kind of scary. I think the industry needs to do more to ensure food safety.

• No They Aren't

I do not believe food safety courses are valued enough in the food service industry to prevent hazardous situations. Employees receive this information via computer programs or videos and then learn how it really happens when they learn their position. Restaurants rarely follow all of the courses or stick to all the rules.

• I'd like to agree, but I don't think so

I think food safety courses are not valued nearly enough in the food industry to prevent hazardous situations. Despite the food safety regulations, I know of several restaurants in my area which were closed due to health violations. One only has to read the local news to see incidents of food contamination causing illness. Even watching a show like "Bar Rescue" you can see lots of disgusting, poorly cleaned kitchens where there is no doubt that the food handlers are not being safe, so I don't think that food safety courses are valued enough at all.