Do you think free speech applies in the Snowden case?

• Yes, I think Americans should listen to what Edward Snowden says because we have the right to hear

Whatever Edward Snowden wants to make public information should not be hindered. The American people have the right to hear what there government has done and is doing. The NSA has extreme powers that have been used with no oversight and as Edward Snowden leaks this information, citizens should listen and if there government has gone too far, they should reform the government or overthrow it.

• Yes: Free Speech Applies in the Snowden Case

Ed Snowden became illegal activities occurring within the NSA and made them public so as to inform America's understanding of how their government is behaving. While Snowden has been accused of not following the proper channels, he took inspiration from whistle blower Thomas Drake, who attempted to alert his superiors of illegality, but was brushed aside. When Drake came forward with unclassified information that the NSA still thought was too sensitive, his life was financially destroyed by the retaliatory actions of the government that tried to imprison him under the Espionage Act. Snowden knew it was his duty to exercise his free speech to inform the American people of grave wrongdoing, and he knew, thanks to Drake, he had no choice but to go directly to the press.

• I don't think free speech applies in the Snowden case

Edward Snowden broke the law pure in simple. The statues on treason could not be more clear in this case. I think that Snowden's reasons for breaking the law may have been noble, at least in his mind, but the information released could endanger the lives of the American people. It wasn't a case of free speech as we typically understand these things.

• No, I don't think free speech applie sin the Snowden case.

Snowden leaked Government secrets which many Governments consider to be treason and not protected by the free speech provided to us in the Constitution. I believe that what Snowden did was Nobel and brought a big debate in this country over the NSA's spying programs but overall I don't believe free speech applies to this situation.