Do you think humanism has been the most culturally important contribution of Western civilization?

• Yes, I think humanism has been the most important cultural contribution of Western Civilization.

Western Civilization showed the world that the power of the individual life mattered and that was something that had not been the case throughout history, I think when the rest of the world saw that their citizens have demanded the same time of respect and treatment from their Governments and it has lead to an overall better world.

• Fighting the tide of mysticism and nonsense

Despite the best efforts of those who would leave us mired in superstition and fairy tales, the world has managed to move forward. We've generally accepted that religious wars are not ok. We've mostly accepted that women aren't property, and slavery, probably not so cool. We're even getting there on accepting that gays might be human beings too. All this because we've embraced rational thought and logic, instead of incoherent ramblings of paleolithic sheep herders too fond of amanita muscaria.

• Yes, it has.

Humanism or keeping the state of mind that we are humans and should treat each other in such a way has been very important to the western world. If we cannot treat ourselves and treat other people like human beings, then what problems are in the future could be very grim.

• Yes, I think humanism has been an important factor in the West.

I definitely think that humanism has been the most culturally important
    contribution of Western civilization. I think that without it, our
    forefathers would not have believe in the right of an individual to be
    free of rule from a monarchy. I also think that America wouldn't have
    been so great without humanism.

I definitely think that humanism has been the most culturally important contribution of Western civilization. I think that without it, our forefathers would not have believe in the right of an individual to be free of rule from a monarchy. I also think that America wouldn't have been so great without humanism.