Do you think it is possible that a human-like digital mind will be created in the nearest future?

• Yes, I do.

Our Mars rover Curiosity, the smartest robot ever built in human history, has intelligence higher than that of a cockroach. It might not sound like much to you, but that is huge. Technology doubles in power every 18 months or so, so its only a matter of time until digital catches up to us.

• We have crude versions of that already.

We're already creating human-like digital minds right now. We have the technology to do it. I don't think we'll ever get something like HAL from the 2001 film, though. We probably won't even get something like the computer in Wargames offering "a nice game of chess instead." But we will have computers that are able to use logic more efficiently the way humans do.

• Not Real Soon

I do not believe that a human-like digital mind will be created in the near future. We're still training computers to recognize objects in images. When a computer can't tell the difference between a boat and tree, they aren't going to become human-like over night. We still have a lot of work to do, in order to achieve this goal.

• No, the human mind is too complex to duplicate in the near future.

While there is a small chance of this occurring in the next few years, I believe that it is much more likely to take at least 10 to 15 years. The storage and power required to duplicate what the human brain does would be astronomical and unfeasible at this time. Creating an artificial intelligence would be beneficial to mankind, and should be actively researched.

• No, I don't think a human mind will be created.

While I think it's possible that robots and computers will become more and more advanced as time goes on, scientists haven't yet been able to replicate feeling and emotions. Even if they could replicate something that seems like an emotion, it would not really be an emotion, but rather a programmed response to a stimulus. Because there's a magic spark of life that can't be created in the lab, at least as far as we know to this point, I don't think there will be a lifelike digital mind anytime soon.