Do you think its still selfish and okay to commit suicide if you have major depression and illnesses that cannot be cured?

Asked by: TommyTheCat
  • It is your life.

If someone is not happy with their life and they see no way out of it I would say they have every right to commit suicide. Sure you can pop Serotonin pills all you want all day but if it were me I would not be able to depend on a pill to live. I would not want to grow old have kids who very well might have the same problem and so on. All I'm saying is that if the individual has the right to live their life any way they want to then they have the right to end it as well.

• Your question is contradicting (selfish and ok are two different things)

I say that it is ok to "commit" suicide in certain cases, like if you have an incurable diseases that causes you great pain (and most likely taxes your family both financially and emotionally). Major depression however, can be overcome with help, so I would say no to that. Overall, unless there are special circumstances, suicide is not ok.

• Its your choice

Suicide is very hard for a lot of people to understand, nonetheless, it is not selfish at all. My uncle committed suicide and everyone gave him a ton of shit for it because he "left his mom with the despair of his death". Personally I feel that the people saying he's selfish are the actual selfish ones for wanting a person to live for the sake of their own happiness. There's no point in living if its for someone else. None of us asked for the life we have, so why do we have to keep it. Life's a bitch and then you die, death is inevitable after all. Even if your life is wonderful and you're successful, everything you've done on earth will be over for you. Besides, suicide should be more commonly accepted due to overpopulation and the amount of mouths that don't get fed. I suppose if we were immortal, wed have a reason to make our lives better, but we're only human. We're just as equal to every other animal except we're more selfish. I wrote this horribly lol but you get the message

• Depends on the situation

If you have a painful condition that cannot be cured or your partner or child has died, you should totally be allowed to end your life and be with them. However, if you are just depressed, go and find some professional help. Plenty of people have done this and cured their depression.

• It's not selfish to kill yourself

People can suffer immense and unbearable psychological and physical pain from depression, injury, or illness. It's selfish to tell people that they shouldn't kill themselves because you will be sad if they do it, even though they are suffering tremendous pain. It's your body and you can do whatever you want with it, suicide is no different then dying from natural means you just have a conscious choice in the matter.

• Because..... I SAID SO!!!

(didn't know what to put for headline sorry about that) actually I, myself, am a suicidal...Well I've tried to before and I've cut myself before...And well...It just...Takes away the pain...Now I don't think I should cut myself...BUT I think you should ONLY kill yourself if you literly have NO ONE and life is hard on you.. If you have at least ONE person then don't... It's not worth it.... I have someone so I didn't kill myself...My wonderful boyfriend :D never thought someone would actually love me like that but hey... Life is full of surprises ...So yea I'm just a dumb kid who doesn't know anything .... But ik what it's like to hurt and know your NEVER alone smile once in a while It looks good on you ;)

• Only selfish if you have kids and a wife.

If you have a family/kids it is selfish to kill yourself. You have to be there for them no matter what. Even if that means suffering. Never think they are better off without you. If your life is shot then do your best to make there's good. By killing yourself you increase there chance of having a challenging life and potentially commuting suicide too.

However, if you don't have kids depending on you then I wouldn't say it's selfish, or selfish in a bad way. Everyone's selfish. Everyone needs to take care of themselves and hopefully help others take care of themselves. But I wouldn't say killing your self because you've been suffering for a very long time and will continue to suffer is selfish. What's selfish is having a person combine to live in pain because you'd miss them.

I'm not condoning suicide. I'm just simply answering the question if it's selfish or not. But before you seriously consider it seek help. Be open about it with friends and loved ones. It's sad when someone kills them self and no one close them knew how much they were suffering.

• Suicide is okay.

That anyone thinks they have the right to control another's life is silly to me. I think if you bring a life into this world- a life that is inherently unconsenting- then you should be prepared for them to take themselves out. It is that person's life, they should be allowed to do whatever they want with it.

• Don't commit suicide

It's really not the answer. One can always find a way around it, and imagine the havoc caused to your friends and family. Surely, if not for yourself, you would, for them, stay alive. You have never tried every option to make your life better and your life is SO precious that you can't just throw it away like that. There are people out there who wish for life, yet some just take their's away for something so easily cured

• I can't see why not

If you can't handle it anymore; if the pain is too much to handle; if you get hopeless about life because you know that you're never getting your old life again, then get a new one. It is your life. Or you could just pray that you'd get better. :)

• If you are dead we can't help you.

One thing is for sure and that is that once you do this it is over.
    Many people have felt this way but major depression can be cured and alot of people are very pleased to have overcome it to a point that they are no longer contemplating suicide.

Euthanasia for terminally ill people is a completely different topic to which I would answer yes.

You should be clear in the difference and be careful not confuse the two intentionally or otherwise.

• Suicide is never the answer

If you truly have nothing going for you then make something out of it. Their are places out their for people you don't just have to sit there and be lazy. Just get off your butt and do something about your issues sometimes it only takes a few steps yes.

• Okay, so recently

Ive seen and heard this person that says suicide is okay if you don't want to live any more and have major depression, illnesses, etc. (I'm not gonna tell who this person is.) But what is your guys thoughts on this? I say no and disagree most of the time because it is selfish if there is people close to you IMO and committing suicide can hurt and possibly make those people close to you suicidal.

• Not unless it's a serious illness

If you have major depression and it doesn't respond to anything redefine your meanings and values. Try devaluing the feeling of happiness.
    But things like Alzheimer's or Huntington's. I think you should be allowed to get euthanasia. I value intelligence far far above happiness. I rather be in a state of extreme misery yet intelligent and learning new things than be degenerating like that even if I was happy. "Happiness" is overvalued and few people think outside the box enough to consider that maybe they don't have to consider "happiness" the most important thing, that maybe life can be worth living even if you are not happy.

• Suicide is never the answer

• Suicide is never the answer

• It is not selfish

Committing suicide in my eyes is okay. Why? Because some people have it hard. Sometimes it gets to bad that there is nothing else to do. Ive been there and attempted suicide. I was raped four times, been abused since I was 8 and im now 15. Suicide is okay in some cases.

• Major depression ptsd

Depression is a serious mental illness it can be disabling to your life I live with it everyday. I think about ending my life all the time. If you don't suffer from major depression panic attacks and insomnia you have no idea what it feels like. For some people like me their is no cure.

• I say no because its very painful to everyone around you.

My cousin committed suicide and if you understand how hard it s to go through that and how bad it hurts you you all would understand suicide isn't a solution to use it isn't a solution to end your life. I don't care who you are and how you think, but to me it isn't ok. I have been hurt and my heart has been broken, I no how hard it is to no that I can't see my big cousin ever again and he had two beautiful little girls, and a great life going to be an EMT. I want everyone to no that once you no how it feels to lose a close friend or loved one then you really have no say in, its ok to commit suicide. For me since my cousin died I have been against suicide, I couldn't risk seeing someone elses family go through what my family has gone through in the past. Yes those people are sick but you can get help.

• Everyone Dies Eventually

I do not remember asking to be born into this world. If I had children it would be different, they would be my responsibility. But for all those people that don't, it should be their choice. Why should people be forced to live if they don't want to? I'm in control of my body, no one else.