Do you think its still selfish and okay to commit suicide if you have major depression and illnesses that cannot be cured?

Asked by: TommyTheCat
  • It is your life.

If someone is not happy with their life and they see no way out of it I would say they have every right to commit suicide. Sure you can pop Serotonin pills all you want all day but if it were me I would not be able to depend on a pill to live. I would not want to grow old have kids who very well might have the same problem and so on. All I'm saying is that if the individual has the right to live their life any way they want to then they have the right to end it as well.

• Your question is contradicting (selfish and ok are two different things)

I say that it is ok to "commit" suicide in certain cases, like if you have an incurable diseases that causes you great pain (and most likely taxes your family both financially and emotionally). Major depression however, can be overcome with help, so I would say no to that. Overall, unless there are special circumstances, suicide is not ok.

• Depends on the situation

If you have a painful condition that cannot be cured or your partner or child has died, you should totally be allowed to end your life and be with them. However, if you are just depressed, go and find some professional help. Plenty of people have done this and cured their depression.

• It's not selfish to kill yourself

People can suffer immense and unbearable psychological and physical pain from depression, injury, or illness. It's selfish to tell people that they shouldn't kill themselves because you will be sad if they do it, even though they are suffering tremendous pain. It's your body and you can do whatever you want with it, suicide is no different then dying from natural means you just have a conscious choice in the matter.

• Because..... I SAID SO!!!

(didn't know what to put for headline sorry about that) actually I, myself, am a suicidal...Well I've tried to before and I've cut myself before...And well...It just...Takes away the pain...Now I don't think I should cut myself...BUT I think you should ONLY kill yourself if you literly have NO ONE and life is hard on you.. If you have at least ONE person then don't... It's not worth it.... I have someone so I didn't kill myself...My wonderful boyfriend :D never thought someone would actually love me like that but hey... Life is full of surprises ...So yea I'm just a dumb kid who doesn't know anything .... But ik what it's like to hurt and know your NEVER alone smile once in a while It looks good on you ;)

• Only selfish if you have kids and a wife.

If you have a family/kids it is selfish to kill yourself. You have to be there for them no matter what. Even if that means suffering. Never think they are better off without you. If your life is shot then do your best to make there's good. By killing yourself you increase there chance of having a challenging life and potentially commuting suicide too.

However, if you don't have kids depending on you then I wouldn't say it's selfish, or selfish in a bad way. Everyone's selfish. Everyone needs to take care of themselves and hopefully help others take care of themselves. But I wouldn't say killing your self because you've been suffering for a very long time and will continue to suffer is selfish. What's selfish is having a person combine to live in pain because you'd miss them.

I'm not condoning suicide. I'm just simply answering the question if it's selfish or not. But before you seriously consider it seek help. Be open about it with friends and loved ones. It's sad when someone kills them self and no one close them knew how much they were suffering.

• Suicide is okay.

That anyone thinks they have the right to control another's life is silly to me. I think if you bring a life into this world- a life that is inherently unconsenting- then you should be prepared for them to take themselves out. It is that person's life, they should be allowed to do whatever they want with it.

• Don't commit suicide

It's really not the answer. One can always find a way around it, and imagine the havoc caused to your friends and family. Surely, if not for yourself, you would, for them, stay alive. You have never tried every option to make your life better and your life is SO precious that you can't just throw it away like that. There are people out there who wish for life, yet some just take their's away for something so easily cured

• I can't see why not

If you can't handle it anymore; if the pain is too much to handle; if you get hopeless about life because you know that you're never getting your old life again, then get a new one. It is your life. Or you could just pray that you'd get better. :)

• Commit suicide ok

A person is certainly within their rights to commit suicide. I think there should be aided suicide. It would be more peaceful. Whether non-psychological medical condition or depression, it is ok in either case. Obviously it is very sad. Selfish? Like stated in another post: [Live and suffer so everyone else can be "happy", or die and be relieved of said suffering and everyone else will not be so happy. I feel that is selfish for others to prolong someone's suffering.] . But it is important to use available resources before doing this. Call Crisis Hotline - they do a very good job. If possible, reach out to a family member, including cousins, that you trust. Explain what is going on, IN DETAIL, and DO NOT be embarrassed to explain the precise details. Holding things inside is serious and can be what causes many problems in the first place. Even if it means you have to say you are a coward in certain situations, SAY IT!, it is ok, you have to get things off your chest and get them resolved and waiting only causes things to get worse. When you open up, don't feel you have to be a super-hero in everyone's eyes. Say what you need to say! Take off the mask. And this goes for issues in general. Don't wait to bring out exactly what you are feeling years down the line. Don't let it get to depression because during that time keeping on the mask, which can be many many years, you are subconsciously making not good decisions during that time. And then if it was hidden, and it all comes crashing down when you finally realize it, you will be thinking, why did I not speak up as soon as I felt there was a problem. This is what happened to me. I am 57 and in a bad way. Don't let this happen to you. Speak up now to people you trust and get a plan in place.

• If you are dead we can't help you.

One thing is for sure and that is that once you do this it is over.
    Many people have felt this way but major depression can be cured and alot of people are very pleased to have overcome it to a point that they are no longer contemplating suicide.

Euthanasia for terminally ill people is a completely different topic to which I would answer yes.

You should be clear in the difference and be careful not confuse the two intentionally or otherwise.

• Suicide is never the answer

If you truly have nothing going for you then make something out of it. Their are places out their for people you don't just have to sit there and be lazy. Just get off your butt and do something about your issues sometimes it only takes a few steps yes.

• Okay, so recently

Ive seen and heard this person that says suicide is okay if you don't want to live any more and have major depression, illnesses, etc. (I'm not gonna tell who this person is.) But what is your guys thoughts on this? I say no and disagree most of the time because it is selfish if there is people close to you IMO and committing suicide can hurt and possibly make those people close to you suicidal.

• Not unless it's a serious illness

If you have major depression and it doesn't respond to anything redefine your meanings and values. Try devaluing the feeling of happiness.
    But things like Alzheimer's or Huntington's. I think you should be allowed to get euthanasia. I value intelligence far far above happiness. I rather be in a state of extreme misery yet intelligent and learning new things than be degenerating like that even if I was happy. "Happiness" is overvalued and few people think outside the box enough to consider that maybe they don't have to consider "happiness" the most important thing, that maybe life can be worth living even if you are not happy.

• Tragic, not selfish

People who die from suicide are not selfish in any way, they were so brave to continue on for so long especially if they have clinical depression etc. I am not saying that suicide should be a viable or 'okay' option, ever, just that those who have done it should not be judged. It is still horribly tragic and should never happen, but sadly it does. Suicidal people should be helped, not feel bad about being 'selfish', maybe if there was a less negative view on suicide more people would reach out?

• Depends on the situation

• It an individual choice

How long would someone need to suffer either from pain or long term mental care or even a terminal illness before suicide would be justifiable? None of us can truly answer that for another individual. The simple fact is that we are all different. Some persevere...Some can only take so much damage to their souls. Frankly the selfish are the ones left behind who speak of tragedy after suicide when there was plenty that could've been done before hand. Like many things in life, suicide, is a choice with ripples that effect everyone around us.

• Of the rare rare cases.. Yes suicide is OK

Patient of mine was being treated for depression and suicidal tendencies. He had tried to take his life at a rate of 2/3 times a month.Mhe had been sexually abused and mentally abused by his father for 18 years. He did not allow anyone to touch him or near him.Mhe was afraid of men and would often walk the halls of the facility he lived at or he would sit and rock back and forth moving his fingers or shaking his foot while he sat. He had been put there many programs and was at the point where the staff had though he was just faking it because nothing worked for him. You can only drug someone up for so long. I met him late in his failing rehabilitation. I was disgusted by the lack of empathy given to him. He would cut himself when left alone hnd had to be accompanied at all times. He'd even be accompanied in the shower where I had noted he never cleaned his privates because he did not want it touched. It took working with him daily for a month for him to start talking. He would brighten up but as great of progress he made with he he'd have even bigger relapses when I left or he was reminded of anything sexual. It pained me that I could not help him and he was released from his facility and was told he'd have to come back a few weeks later and then go to a long term facility indefinitely. He ended up not going and has not been seen or heard of. I think of him everyday. I can still see him sitting in his bed holding his knees to his chest while he rocked. He would whisper and hen I'd ask him to speech louder he'd stop and look at me "please... Please let me die.. I can see him on top of me.. I can feel him. I relive it in my dreams everynight. I want to lay down and know I can rest forever without seeing him"
    I've had people tell him that depression can be helped and that it's only the person that's truly holding themselves back.. I have worked with many suicidal people he was only only one of my many cases that made me believe in assist suicide.

He was going to be out in a padded room with his hands gloved because he cut himself with his nails..That is not life.. If we cannot give people the quality of life they deserve and all recources have been exhausted what then? Lock them in a room and leave them with their thoughts. If they have an incurable depression and wish to lay at rest let them. It is their life.

• Do not do it

Just do not do it okay my cusine had canser and he was going to do suiside but he did not do it and he came out hethly and he now playes sports and is all back to normal so do not do it okay ya don"t NO more YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA