• Well, yeah. But..

- it stifles the businesses and food industries, which
    - contributes to corporatism, which
    - stifles creativity
    - makes employers pay employees less
    - worsens economy.

- it contributes to poverty

Now that I mentioned the problems, I will mention why they should be taxed.

- Deters buyers.
    - The govt can use it to help ppl.

We already get taxed for healthcare, and unhealthy people use healthcare the most,so when people do unhealthy things, they should be taxed.

Sorry if I'm lazy; I wrote a very elaborate comment which I accidentally canceled , and I'm tired.

• Yes they should

Junk food should be taxed. Junk food, just like cigarettes, should be taxed. This serves both as a deterrent to overeating and the extra money can go to government programs that help reduce obesity, such as free exercise programs. People will start eating less cookies, candy, cakes, and pies, and start paying attention to more healthy behaviors, like exercise.

• Tax cookies, candy, cake, pies.

• Well, yeah. But..

- contributes to corporatism, which
    - stifles creativity
    - makes employers pay employees less
    - worsens economy.

- it contributes to poverty

- Deters buyers.
    - The govt can use it to help ppl.

• Well, yeah. But..

- contributes to corporatism, which
    - stifles creativity
    - makes employers pay employees less
    - worsens economy.

- it contributes to poverty

- Deters buyers.
    - The govt can use it to help ppl.

• Well, yeah. But..

- contributes to corporatism, which
    - stifles creativity
    - makes employers pay employees less
    - worsens economy.

- it contributes to poverty

- Deters buyers.
    - The govt can use it to help ppl.

• Well, yeah. But..

- contributes to corporatism, which
    - stifles creativity
    - makes employers pay employees less
    - worsens economy.

- it contributes to poverty

- Deters buyers.
    - The govt can use it to help ppl.

• It won't help

Would raising the taxes on junk food really help. It will just make the poor poorer and the wealthier will not find this a problem. It is just taking money of civilians for eating what they want and when they want it. It is simple, don't raise taxes on junk food!

• No It Shouldn't

I believe a junk food tax is very rude and doesn't help fight obesity. At first the government was created with a group of people to come together, make a decision, then continue on with their lives. It was never meant to become a full-time job. The government 'think' they know whats best for us when they can't even stop terrorists, wars, or crime. No, they want to focus on obesity which I think is absurd. Yes, it can cause health problems but that happens to everyone when you get older. The government have taxed a lot of things and they are rotten to the core with greed for money.

• No we should not

Its unfair enough Americans to pay extra money on regular food, why should we have to pay more money for something that's so little. The reason why most Americans have obesity is because they cant afford the healthy foods because of the taxing prices they give on them. The only thing they can afford is junk food because there is no taxes on them and they cot so little. So yes we shouldn't have to tax junk food because for all we know the government could care less about the poor or people having obesity cause they want is money and all they care for is money.

• Junk food should not be taxed.

Taxing junk food is not the problem. Junk food is cheap because of government subsidies. High fructose corn syrup is a product that is subsidized. Farmers get paid extra money to grow corn for this product specifically. Remove the subsidies on corn and junk food manufacturers will be forced to use regular sugar which will raise prices on junk food. The result is a healthier populace that pays less taxes.

• Too much grey area

There is far too much grey area when we deal with taxes on arbitrary groups such as junk food, and the idea that a tax would do much to make people healthy is somewhat absurd. Taxing would also have a huge effect on the food industry, killing jobs and growths.

• Let people eat what they want

It's easy to say that there should be a tax on things that are considered "unhealthy", such as junk food or tobacco products. However, this seems an unreasonable approach to the issue of public health. Ultimately, I think people should be able to choose what foods they eat. If a person wants to eat cake, let them eat cake. It is not the place of the government to punish someone for enjoying something fattening.