Do you think lack of skills are adding to unemployment in this current economy?

Asked by: pspworld
  • Yes I do believe so

As being a current part-time employee for a technology firm doing IT support I find no trouble in my work. I actually been offered several full time jobs but since I’m a student cannot do it. In addition, in college I see lot of business majors, social work, nursing, art and other areas that require least amount of math and science. I’m an atmospheric science major and there are only 7 of us in my major compared to business which has about 12 times students or more and even in nursing. These are good occupations not doubt but lot people jump in these fields, but only so many are going to be hired. When I mention to people I’m atmospheric science major they will be like oh God all that math, no way. Engineering is a growing field as well as IT, but not many people in those areas. These areas require science and math and what I read online many Americans hate math. IT doesn’t require too much math or science but does require good thinking and strategy in troubleshooting. I think if people just go back and/or major in a minor in another field employment opportunities will grow for them. Programming is another good area but again lot of math and critical thinking is needed.
    Even some jobs like administration or any computer skill job can cause workers to not get the job. I use to be a TA at this vocational school and lot of people in their 30’s and 40’s were there and did not know how to use Microsoft Office. After the training, we heard more than half gobs descent paid office jobs. I showed them how use search engines and emailing. All of them knew how to browse the web. Things like this people ignore but it can hamper their ability to find work. Lot of these offices jobs they make you take a MS Word and Excel exam and must get a certain score for them to consider you.

• If a lack of skills is the same as having no skills of value then yes

Being skillful at video game play might make you cool, but it won't get you a good job. Same with a degree in History, English, Philosophy and dozens of others. But there are skills that are in great demand, that pay well, and that go unfilled.

People have been living in a dream world for a long time. Let's get back to reality for a moment.

Imagine if there were no subsidized student loans at all and you had no hope of living with your parents after high school. Also imagine that you couldn't get any state or federal aid until you were 65. What would you do?

First you would look to see if it was logical to spend $80,000 on a college degree that guarantees you nothing. You would look at the market and see that there are companies willing to pay you to learn specific skills for 4 years if you agree to work for them for 4 more. You would find apprenticeship programs that pay you a small amount for some years so you can make a larger amount for many more. You would look to see that in North Dakota they are willing to pay big bucks for all kinds of work, if you are willing to move.

In short you would live in the real world and make real world choices and compromises. The government has corrupted the college market with subsidized loans, driven up prices, and put fantasies into the minds of many that college is great for everyone and that every degree earns you more money.

The argument that college grads earn 1 million more in their lifetime than non-grads is true but misleading. Some grads make 10 million more and some make 0 more and the average of 1 million more tells you nothing.

People with skills that are in demand, college or otherwise, make a lot more money than people with skills that are not in demand. How long does it take to replace a McDonalds worker who quits with a new worker? A day? How long does it take to replace a repairman who fixes the fryers at Macdonalds with a new trained repairmen? A year? Guess who makes more money?

• Nope. The problem isn't how many have skills, but what skills they have.

People are still under the enchantment spell of post-secondary. I know at least ten to fifteen people who went to school, got a degree, left, and found nothing in the career they had chosen. This is the main problem. It isn't glamorous to go to a trades school and learn how to plumb, but those jobs are the ones people should be getting.

Follow your dreams? Yeah. Sure. But get a good job in a sector that is yelling for workers. Don't go and get a degree in Brazilian Jazz.