Do you think laws that protect citizens from themselves are justified?

• Yes, they are.

There are many laws that protect citizens from themselves that are justified. The fact that you have to wear a helmet when you ride a bike has saved a countless number of lives, including my own. Also, social programs that have tax laws, like medicare, benefit people who have retired.

• We have a caretaking function.

Yes, laws that protect citizens from themselves are justified, because law enforcement has a care taking function today. In the old days, people depended on their families to look out for them. But today, without family, we have to let law enforcement impose things like health standards for foods and speed limits, so that we can all stay safe.

• No! Not justified..

Laws are made to protect citizens from others who wish to impose harm or destruction to their person or property. Individual liberty is given to citizens to be used as they see fit so long as it causes no harm to anothers person or property. By trying to protect an individual from their self is legislating morality and only serves to strip one of their liberty.

• No, I do not think laws that protect citizens from themselves are justified

No, I do not think laws that protect citizens from themselves are justified. However one wishes to interpret our American treasure of "freedom," it seems that a basic understanding would include the right to do anything to oneself. That becomes murky when the rights of others come into play, but I do not believe that any law could properly protect the well being of real Americans living lives outside of legal paperwork and jargon. The law is used to keep order, not provide for each and every citizen.

• I think that laws that protect citizens from themselves are not justified.

I think that laws that protect citizens from themselves are not justified. I think it is wrong the number of laws that we vote into the country every year. Most of them are ridiculous and I would laugh at any judge that would try to uphold most of them at all.