Do you think lowering the age of consensual sex will alleviate the burden of sexual offender lists?

• Where did we get the nbr 18?

18 is a magic nbr pulled out of a hat that has no value upon sexual maturity. I know of 20, 21, 24, 30 year olds who are not ready for sex OR has never had sex. On the other hand, i know of many young adults who are mature, responsible and ready for parenthood. We have no right to dictate as to when a person is ready for sex. Sexual reproduction depends on person's maturity, not on their age.

• Dude come on

People used to marry when they were 14. They would still question it, but they wouldn't be afraid if they were going to get locked up or not. It's up to the person damnit! I'm only 18 but seriously, the government needs to stop telling us how to live, it's ridiculous. I can't tell you how many times I heard "I hope she's 18" seriously leave it up to the person when it comes to this stuff.

• Yes, but we must be cautious.

Nobody wants to see a teenager sent to prison for having sex with his teenage girlfriend, simply because the girl in question was younger than he was. However, with any lowering of the age of consent comes risk. In relationships where there is a large age gap, the element of power comes into play, and we must be careful not to normalize the abuse of power by an older person toward a younger one, even if that younger one can be considered a young adult.

• Instead Graduated Age of Consent

Instead we should have different ages of consent depending on the age of the older participant. So for example if you are 18, 15. If you are 22, 18.

If you just lower the age of consent you'll still have the problem of close-in-age people getting in trouble. A graduated age of consent system makes more sense.

• No, because having intercourse with a minor is still wrong for an adult.

Lowering the age of consent opens the floodgates for perverts to prey on the young and naive. This would create an entirely different problem. Instead laws should change in regards to people of similar age engaging in such acts. For instance, if a consenting 16 year old has relations with an 18 year old partner, it isn't worthy of being a sex offense case that needs to be added to a registry. This sort of criminal logging is what burdens the system. The laws in place should be fine-tuned to correc this.

• Not at all

We should not lower the age for consensual sex because there need to be protections for our youth who are either easily manipulated into situations or should not be allowed to be prayed on by others. There needs to be something done about the offender list, but this is not the answer.

• No, I don't think lowering the age of concensual sex will alleviate the burden of sexual offender lists.

I think that lowering the consent age is a bad idea but I do think reforms are needed in the system that ensure someone just below the consent age does not end up on a sexual offender list for their entire lives, I think more common sense reforms are long needed in this area.