Do you think Madonna was good for the feminist movement?

• I think Madonna was good for the feminist movement.

I think Madonna was good for the feminist movement. The feminist movement is supposed to end sexism in society, I think Madonna was a good example of a female who expressed her self in a manner that was sexually liberating from a female perspective. She did not conform to the antiquated notion that females must be modest and conservative. Some people may say that she went overboard and gave women a bad name by acting sexually provocative, but you can also say that she expressed herself honestly and in a manner which was true to herself.

• Yeah, she was.

Madonna was good for the feminist movement because she kept letting the world know that it was okay to express your sexuality and to be proud of who you are. She never backed down and remained an icon into her 50s, and is still loved by many around the world today.

• Madonna was good for the feminist movement.

Madonna was good for the feminist movement. Her status as a celebrity put her in the center of the stage with everybody being a fan of hers. Her ideas and comments have been good for the feminist movement because she showed us exactly what women are capable of. I think she has been a good role model.

• Yes She Was

I believe Madonna was very good for the feminist movement. I believe Madonna was new and creative in her work, style, and her changes. I think for the most part she also did these things in a somewhat moral way. I think she did a lot for the feminist movement.

• No, Madonna's presence moved cultural feminism toward sex focus only.

Madonna overemphasized so-called sex-positive freedom for women, and helped to culturally influence "post-feminist" thinking. Now the pressure is on for 13 year old girls to be as sexually active as porn stars. We've inherited pressure on Rihanna, Miley Cyrus, or others to be hyper-sexual. This de-emphasizes real rights. Equal pay, the right to NOT be a sex object to have personal value, birth control, HIV safety, and advanced education for girls and women got lost on Madge's watch. Madonna is not a feminist, but rather a sexual progressive, being openly bisexual in 80's. She seems quite unhappy, and I do not think she has benefited women much at all--her main contribution was the media term, "boy toy"--not much progress for working women or mothers. I think Annie Lennox is a more powerful feminist/ gay icon from the same era, who has aged gracefully without plastic surgery or exaggerated fake sexuality. Lennox has contributed to great charities and causes for women/girls of all races.

• No Madonna was not good for the feminist movement

She was not good for the movement because she did not represent the movement. The feminist movement did support the liberation and honesty of being a woman, but I think Madonna represents Hollywood more than feminism. Her tabloid stories and multiple marriage may have been the opposition of what feminism wanted women to portray.