Do you think makeup is empowering to women?

Asked by: fawny
  • Makeup is okay

I find guys saying things along the lines of, "I like girls who are more natural", or "I like girls with less makeup." Makeup is a way of expression and feelings. It isn't a necessary thing to wear, and if you choose not to wear it, it's fine! It isn't something for someone else to decide. It's like getting a tattoo, but at the end of the day, you wash it away and you start fresh. It's art. Makeup can teach you how to know your beauty, without it or not. I barely even use makeup, but I support it, 100%.

Posted by: zoya
  • Sure, makeup is an accessory like any other

Though I personally don't wear makeup, I understand the psychology behind it. It's like when you wear a new outfit, or a new pair of underwear. It makes you feel good. It adds to your confidence. Of course not everyone should wear makeup if they don't want to, but for those who do, I don't see the problem. If it makes them feel good, then why not? To each their own.

• Make up is a girly girl thing

What's with this use of the word empowering? It's a stupid feminist term. It's annoying. Guys and girls are different that's it. Tomboys are pretty much like the guys. Girls like soft, cute, beautiful things. Guys are rough, wolvish beings with testarone. It's how it is. We love girls, sports, building stuff.
    Enough with "empowering." Already.

• Not Good Enough

I understand that makeup can make a woman FEEL empowered. But if a woman thinks she needs makeup to feel that way. It is doing the opposite.

Eventually, due to the aging process, makeup will not conceal perceived imperfections.

I think a woman should feel comfortable with who she really is. By painting her face, she is wearing a disguise. If it empowers her to put makeup on, than she loses her power when she washes it off. That's dependance, and that's not empowering at all.

Ladies, you're beautiful the way you are.

• Nope. It does the opposite of that.

I've never worn makeup, but I know why other girls do. Makeup makes them good. It makes them more confident and comfortable because they basically get to design their own face. But along with this positive effect, you get a negative one. After a while, girls may feel the need to wear makeup to feel normal. It will make them uncomfortable to be seen without it, which is destructive to self-confidence. It's like wearing a mask and hiding your real identity.

It can almost be compared to drug addiction. Once you start, it's hard to stop because it makes you feel better. It is best to not let yourself start using makeup obsessively, or at all.