Do you think Marc Emery's conviction should be overturned considering the United States' current position of not prosecuting federal marijuana laws?

• He Shouldn't Be In Prison

Marc Emery is a Canadian who advocates for marijuana reform and he sold cannabis seeds. This is why he is currently serving a five year sentence in the United States. There are many with similar stories in the United States prison sentence. I believe his case should be overturned, with all the others that are in prison due to cannabis only convictions. Americans are wasting tons of money holding these people, as well as ruining their lives.

• He was a symbol

High profile arrests almost never get off easily because people love making examples of famous people that may see themselves above the law. It makes no sense why Emery would be arrested given the Federal laws in place and the general attitude towards the issue in the US and its culture today.

• Marc Emery's Conviction

I personally think that Marc Emery conviction should be overturned considering that marijuana is illegal even though at the time the United States' current position was not prosecuting federal marijuana laws. I personally think that since Marc Emery was convicted and at the time it was the law he should be convicted.

• Marc Emery broke the law.

Marc Emery was convicted of a crime. The action he was convicted of was a crime at the time he was convicted of it. To suggest that people can be pardoned of a crime simply because it is no longer a crime dances too close to a certain legal line that we do not want crossed. I refer to the states ability to create a law and then charge you with it. It is only fair that if it was or was not a crime at the time of the activity, the judgment of the state and the people should stand. If there is a position that feels they want to pardon the convicted of their sentence, then that is their decision.

• He broke the law at the time.

No, I do not think that Marc Emery's conviction should be overturned considering that the United States' current position is to not prosecuted federal marijuana laws, because he broke the law as it existed at the time, and he should pay a penalty. Also, marijuana causes a lot of harm, and I do not think that the United States is correct in legalizing marijuana.