Do you think Melissa Farley's studies are a hoax (yes) or legitimate (no)?

• Perhaps not a hoax, but particularly flawed

She selected her participants based on loaded criteria, as opposed to selecting overall participants based on general demographics, and seeing what the data stated afterwards.

The level of imposed bias in her works could only be described as 'dripping'. While I am sure that she believes in her work, and is doing her study with nothing but the best of intentions, even her classification of someone as a 'sex buyer' or 'non sex buyer' had no real rhyme or reason.

It basically lumps in pornography viewers with people seeking out prostitutes. It also asks questions to try and predict potential violent behaviours, the validity of which is highly suspect.

A particularly troubling critique I read pointed out that, realistically, the sample could not have been representative because people who were more likely to be empathetic and non-violent would be prone to a lower level of risk taking behaviours, meaning that people would not volunteer to participate given the impact of people finding out about their private behaviours. The paper pays weak lip service to this possibility, linguistically implying that the impact is minute if existent at all. Very vague.

Unfortunately, this is actually a common meme with the social sciences. Pretty sad.

• Yes, I think Melissa Farley's studies are flawed.

I believe that while Melissa Farley's studies may have grains of truth in them, they are not overall legitimate. My opinion is that Melissa Farley is an individual with extremely strong beliefs and might have influenced her studies in order to achieve the outcome she perceived to be the truth.

• Not a hoax

I think that Melissa Farley's studies are not a hoax, and that she put years and years of research in to determine the results of her studies, which she is now trying to show to the public to back her fight against prostitution and pornography that women are being forced into.

• Melissa Farley Speaks Up for Battered Women

Melissa Farley's studies on the sex trade and prostitution are legitimate in that they purport sexual harassment is perpetuated by males and women should rise up against trades that degrade women. Farley is right in that women don't get as good of a deal as men do when it comes to jobs and employment. Her studies aren't a hoax--they are mainstream ideas that were reported decades before their time.

• She makes valid points.

I think that Melissa Farley's studies are legitimate, because she has some valid points to make. In speaking out against pornography, Farley makes some good arguments, and she has a way of framing the arguments in a way that a lot of people have not thought of before. She is a feminist and an activist, and honestly cares to improve our society.

• Too partisan to be believed

People have been trying to apply the scientific method to the social sciences for over a century, with varying success. The biggest thing to take into account is how partisan somebody is - Melissa Farley has a very clear goal in her studies, so she fails the first test, impartiality.