Do you think non-binary genders should be recognized by the government? (question prompted by the non-binary petition on whitehouse.Gov)

Asked by: fawny
  • We aren't threats

We don't want to be looked at like we're inhuman. We are people. We want to live just like anyone else. We just want to safely use they bathroom and not get hurt be close-minded people around us. We deserve this as people. We deserve this as humans. We aren't asking for much at all.

• Gender is gender, some people are not boy or girl

While trans rights have been progressing recognition of nonbinary identities would be an important and necessary step for trans rights. The outdated belief that genitals = gender should not be used as an excuse in this debate. Nonbinary identities are just are as valid as binary identities and should be recognized by the government.

• I am agender myself.

I am agender. Some people say that being agender isnt a thing because the brain can only identify as male or female. No. I do not fit into the male category, nor the female, but at a fine line in the middle. It's really annoying when you have to choose either male or female when you don't fit into either category.

• I am nonbinary.

Every person has to right to self-define their own gender/agender identity, and they are not necessarily defined by their physical anatomy, chromosomes, appearance, etc. Who you are comes from within you. No one else has a right to determine that. Why does the government even need to know about a person's genitalia?

• The Constitution Says We Are Born Equal

In the Constitution of the United States, it says that all men (meaning people) are born equal. Therefore, saying someone's gender is invalid or that they are the gender they are born with is unconstitutional. Besides, some people honestly feel like they don't belong into the binary genders (male and female), myself being one of them. Nonbinary means you identify as neither gender (as I do), or a mix of the two genders. (Don't get this confused with genderfluid, which means it depends on the day which gender you identify as.) Now, I'm not saying that transgender (which is an umbrella term, including nonbinary, genderfluid, demi-people, gender nuetral, agender, etc.) people shouldn't be accounted for by the government as well, because they should. Everyone's gender is valid. If you are born with a penis and testicles and identify as a guy, go ahead. If you are born with a vagina and identify as a guy, be my guest! If you are born with breasts and a vagina and don't identify as either binary gender (myself being an example), go for you!! :))). Don't be hating on other people because you are transphobic. Keep it to yourself.

• YES!!!! It should be required

It's awkward going into a bathroom and not knowing what bathroom to go into. I think an option should be a single room bathroom that say for other. It would make for a lot less awkward situations and also it could make life a lot easier for some people. So yeah I agree to it.

• Legitimate identity is a fundamental human right!

Non-gendered identity is a fact and not a lifestyle choice. People who do not - and cannot - define as male or female are denied legitimate identity and denied many civil rights and fundamental human rights that others can take for granted. I am fighting for 'X' passports in the UK where the government is desperately trying to bury the issue after undertaking a sham policy review in order to undermine its own commitment. Forcing people who do not define as male or female to align with 'M' or 'F' is forcing people to collude in their own social invisibility. Gendered society's treatment of non-gendered people is not just immoral but inhumane.

• How to determine gender?

Sex is binary, male or female. But gender is based on cultural preferences. For example, some cultures have as many as five genders (male, female, neutral, male-female, female-male) . In the US, the current recognized genders are male and female. Adding additional gender options would be tricky at first, but would not harm US in any major way.

• How to determine gender?

• Of course we should recognize non-binary genders.

Not everyone self-identifies as male or female. Many people identify as gender fluid, which means that one day they might want to self-identify as a female, and the next, a male. Also, many people do not consider themselves to be male or female. We should not deny these people rights to have the correct information on passports and the like.

• No idea why some people turn something simple into something stupid.

Non-binary? Really? If you have male parts, your male. If you have female parts your female. There are some that are in the process of a sex change so would be viewed as the opposite. Seeing that the rest of them looks as such, in cases of a restroom, use the one you appear to be and use a stall. Why is this not simple? In the case of official forms and such where you have to check male or female, some want to be considered somewhere in between. Too bad. Are some people that self absorbed that they feel they should have their own classification? Kind of reminds me of Prince who got so full of himself he changed his name to a symbol that could not be pronounced.
    On a funny note, I had a maintenance job once at a major retail store. Before cleaning the ladies room I would wait outside till everyone was out. Sometimes more would go in but oh well. On occasion, some guy would walk towards the door about to go in, I would stop them and quietly let them know that it's the ladies room. Normally, the guy would glance at the sign by the door and say something like "oh, thanks, almost went in" one day, this burly guy with very short hair was walking up, I politely told him the same thing. They said "I know". Really, you could not blame me for thinking it was a guy, even their voice was a bit male.

• I'm wondering what everyone else's opinion is on this

I'm wondering what this petition will actually achieve. Gender and sex are two completely different things. Sex being physical - genitals, chromosomes, tangible. And gender being something that is socially constructed - roles, expectations, stereotypes. Gender usually contrasts between the sexes, and it is usually something society pressures the sexes into conforming. Therefore, society rarely makes the distinction between sex and gender. So, what would that mean if non-binary genders were legally recognized? Would that mean non-binary men would be allowed into women's spaces like washrooms and change rooms? How would this impact statistics on income? Would non-binary men's salaries be collected into women's? Wouldn't that influence the records on the wage gap? Basically, what is the purpose of this? I don't understand.

• The fuck you think you doing

You cant just make up 76 genders and expect people to accept it. I can just simply say im jesus and by their logic you must respect my gender but you dont have to call me nessaiah its your right to free speech to call yourself whatever the fuck you want but its my right to not believe you and i dont care about this stupidity called non binary people so long as they dont try to force their ideals onto me i am a man but i dont have to have you validate. The sheer fact that you need validation proves how weak minded you are. So no non binary shouldnt be recognized by the government. Do you think we should recognize every claim made without evidence. If so put on your tin foil hats because apparently the apocalypse is happening.

• This is just getting ridiculous...

I sexually identify as an attack helicopter, so does that mean I'm an attack helicopter? You are born as a male or female (or in some rare cases, both in hemaphrodite, but even then they usually will choose one). If gender is not binary, the word trans is useless then. Oh, and lastly GENDER IS NOT A SOCIAL CONSTRUCT!

• Non-Binary Gender Identity is not real

There are only two genders, Male and Female. I don't care who you are or what you look like, you can identify as either and I'll treat you the same and call you "He" or "She". But when you say you're neither it's complete bullshit, there is not possible scientific or psychological way that anyone could ever identify as non-binary. And to have the government ever acknowledge it is unacceptable, that's like Congress passing a bill that protects any unicorns discovered under law.

• If gender is a meaningless social construct to you, going by your biological sex shouldn't be an issue.

Gender is an identity, not a mood. That being said, I believe that transgender people shouldn't be broken into their own "gender" just because their sex doesn't reflect their indentity. Claiming your gender is fluid because you don't follow all the stereotypes for one gender is just identifying those stereotypes as an essential part of the gender. I'm female, I identify as a women, I wear dresses and enjoy shocking my friends when they realize I drive an enormous black truck that I feel no need to garnish with pink bumper stickers. Stereotypes are something you can be free from, possibly even a gender, but identity is defined as "the condition of being oneself or itself and not another" so as long as these two "labels" that are part of most people's identities exist, and you don't give yourself one, they'll go by the nearest thing to avoid pronoun confusion, which will be your physical sex. Better that then being awkwardly identified as "it" when your friends recall something you experienced together and can't remember if you felt you were a man or a women that day.

• No. We should not be enabling them

You are a female, male or intersex. That's it. There is no such thing as born into the wrong body. It is on in your head. It is no different than a person with anorexia thinking/feel they are fat. It does not change the truth. If you are born male, then you are a boy that grows into to a man. If you are born a female, then you are a girl that grows into to be a woman. And don't bother try to argue the difference between gender and sex. You are welcome to ACT like a woman or a man. It doesn't make you a woman or a man. Don't have any plastic surgery and don't take any hormone supplement, see what you are.

• Not supported by science

There has been neurological evidence of transgenderism found in male to female cases and controls by looking at men who went through transitioning surgery due to cancer. They found "female" areas of the brain in males claiming to be trans and in cancerous patients, their brains remained "male" this holding the position that transgenderism is not something you acquire, but something you are born with. This study shows that these people still feel the Opposite Gender. As of currently, there have been no such support of a third or intermediate gender. Gender is not a social construct, but neurons in the brain telling you what hormones you need.

• This is all bs to make yourself feel special

All this bs is big because of tumblr and todays youth wanting to be for some reason a minority or opressed because its so cool. Youre a male or female or mtf and ftm. Thats it stop making everything about you just because you dont fit your genders roles DOESNT MAKE YOU TRANS OR GENDERFLUID.

• This could really get out of hand

This has literally come down to a battle of what does a word mean. If gender means "the state of being male or female" male means "of or denoting the sex that produces small, typically motile gametes, especially spermatozoa, with which a female may be fertilized or inseminated to produce offspring." And female means "of or denoting the sex that can bear offspring or produce eggs, distinguished biologically by the production of gametes (ova) that can be fertilized by male gametes."

And just to put it simply, what are we gonna do when people start identifying as animals? Or Aliens? Are we gonna create bathrooms for them too or give them government recognition? Unless they can give much needed scientific evidence for this, the idea of turning it into a legal issue is rather ridiculous.