Do you think non-binary genders should be recognized by the government? (question prompted by the non-binary petition on whitehouse.Gov)

Asked by: fawny
  • We aren't threats

We don't want to be looked at like we're inhuman. We are people. We want to live just like anyone else. We just want to safely use they bathroom and not get hurt be close-minded people around us. We deserve this as people. We deserve this as humans. We aren't asking for much at all.

• Gender is gender, some people are not boy or girl

While trans rights have been progressing recognition of nonbinary identities would be an important and necessary step for trans rights. The outdated belief that genitals = gender should not be used as an excuse in this debate. Nonbinary identities are just are as valid as binary identities and should be recognized by the government.

• I am agender myself.

I am agender. Some people say that being agender isnt a thing because the brain can only identify as male or female. No. I do not fit into the male category, nor the female, but at a fine line in the middle. It's really annoying when you have to choose either male or female when you don't fit into either category.

• I am nonbinary.

Every person has to right to self-define their own gender/agender identity, and they are not necessarily defined by their physical anatomy, chromosomes, appearance, etc. Who you are comes from within you. No one else has a right to determine that. Why does the government even need to know about a person's genitalia?

• YES!!!! It should be required

It's awkward going into a bathroom and not knowing what bathroom to go into. I think an option should be a single room bathroom that say for other. It would make for a lot less awkward situations and also it could make life a lot easier for some people. So yeah I agree to it.

• Legitimate identity is a fundamental human right!

Non-gendered identity is a fact and not a lifestyle choice. People who do not - and cannot - define as male or female are denied legitimate identity and denied many civil rights and fundamental human rights that others can take for granted. I am fighting for 'X' passports in the UK where the government is desperately trying to bury the issue after undertaking a sham policy review in order to undermine its own commitment. Forcing people who do not define as male or female to align with 'M' or 'F' is forcing people to collude in their own social invisibility. Gendered society's treatment of non-gendered people is not just immoral but inhumane.

• The Constitution Says We Are Born Equal

In the Constitution of the United States, it says that all men (meaning people) are born equal. Therefore, saying someone's gender is invalid or that they are the gender they are born with is unconstitutional. Besides, some people honestly feel like they don't belong into the binary genders (male and female), myself being one of them. Nonbinary means you identify as neither gender (as I do), or a mix of the two genders. (Don't get this confused with genderfluid, which means it depends on the day which gender you identify as.) Now, I'm not saying that transgender (which is an umbrella term, including nonbinary, genderfluid, demi-people, gender nuetral, agender, etc.) people shouldn't be accounted for by the government as well, because they should. Everyone's gender is valid. If you are born with a penis and testicles and identify as a guy, go ahead. If you are born with a vagina and identify as a guy, be my guest! If you are born with breasts and a vagina and don't identify as either binary gender (myself being an example), go for you!! :))). Don't be hating on other people because you are transphobic. Keep it to yourself.

• Non-binary Need Recognition In Our World

In our world, it's no longer just 'female' and 'male' people that are out and about. Non-binary people are one of those 'others', and their part in the world should be considered. There shouldn't be a need for them to feel so awkward in situations where it's asking for one gender or another, as they feel as though neither or both make sense for them. There needs to be a regular basis to make sure that even non-binary genders should be recognized.

• How to determine gender?

Sex is binary, male or female. But gender is based on cultural preferences. For example, some cultures have as many as five genders (male, female, neutral, male-female, female-male) . In the US, the current recognized genders are male and female. Adding additional gender options would be tricky at first, but would not harm US in any major way.

• How to determine gender?

• No idea why some people turn something simple into something stupid.

Non-binary? Really? If you have male parts, your male. If you have female parts your female. There are some that are in the process of a sex change so would be viewed as the opposite. Seeing that the rest of them looks as such, in cases of a restroom, use the one you appear to be and use a stall. Why is this not simple? In the case of official forms and such where you have to check male or female, some want to be considered somewhere in between. Too bad. Are some people that self absorbed that they feel they should have their own classification? Kind of reminds me of Prince who got so full of himself he changed his name to a symbol that could not be pronounced.
    On a funny note, I had a maintenance job once at a major retail store. Before cleaning the ladies room I would wait outside till everyone was out. Sometimes more would go in but oh well. On occasion, some guy would walk towards the door about to go in, I would stop them and quietly let them know that it's the ladies room. Normally, the guy would glance at the sign by the door and say something like "oh, thanks, almost went in" one day, this burly guy with very short hair was walking up, I politely told him the same thing. They said "I know". Really, you could not blame me for thinking it was a guy, even their voice was a bit male.

• I'm wondering what everyone else's opinion is on this

I'm wondering what this petition will actually achieve. Gender and sex are two completely different things. Sex being physical - genitals, chromosomes, tangible. And gender being something that is socially constructed - roles, expectations, stereotypes. Gender usually contrasts between the sexes, and it is usually something society pressures the sexes into conforming. Therefore, society rarely makes the distinction between sex and gender. So, what would that mean if non-binary genders were legally recognized? Would that mean non-binary men would be allowed into women's spaces like washrooms and change rooms? How would this impact statistics on income? Would non-binary men's salaries be collected into women's? Wouldn't that influence the records on the wage gap? Basically, what is the purpose of this? I don't understand.

• According to non-binary logic I would be a girl

I'm a guy. I have long hair, like to cook and people say my face can be seen as androgynous, as you can see I'm not the model of masculinity, but even if I don't fit with the stereotype of a guy I won't start saying I'm a woman. I won't say either "Oh I don't do things like a boy, but I don't like dresses so I guess I'm agender, please use they/them"
    You are saying that girl who cut their hair short, are not girls. By supporting this you reinforce stereotypes. When woman first started wearing pants they weren't saying "look we're in men's colthes we're guys!" They were saying "even if we use clothing like the men usually wear we are still women and there's no reason why we can't use it".

• You are making it bigger than it is.

All this "non-binary" people think wearing the opposite sex clothes makes them a man/woman, it doesn't. That would be like telling homosexual guys that they're girls because they "are doing the girls role", it would be like telling a woman wearing pants she is a man because "she is wearing man's clothes", these people make trans people (who genuinely feel as if they're in the wrong body) seem as if they're doing it for the attention.
    Wanting the opposite clothes doesn't makes you the opposite sex. Yes, I know Sex and gender are not the same thing. Sex is biological and Gender is a social construct/ Your gender can be the opposite, that doesn't change your sex because gender is literally what is expected from your sex, an example of this would be if you are a man and you usually do everything a woman would do and not a man, you would be a Feminine Man, this is not a bad thing, it just means you are not doing what is expected of you. A man who is feminine usually pairs up very good with a masculine girl, for example –and I'm thinking in the extremes–, a woman who goes to work and a man who stays home to take care of the kids. Today with feminism (NOTE: FEMINISM, NOT FEMINAZI), all these gender roles are breaking, meaning is more normal to see a guy who doesn't act "completely masculine" or a girl "who is not always feminine".
    This (the non-binary thing) is exactly why men can't do feminine things, because they get stripped of the title that is "a man". To recognize "non-binary" would be to reinforce stereotypes, to say to a girl to not cut her hair because "it will make her a guy".

• Why would non-binary genders need to be recognized by the government?

For starters gender is a social construct, they are characteristics we give to male or female. Sex= man, woman. Gender= masculine, feminine. If I'm a guy and prefer "feminine things", be it clothes, hobbies, heck even if I'm homosexual that doesn't change the fact that I'm a guy. I get it, you don't choose your sexual orientation or your sex, I even understand trans people, but saying "I was a girl yesterday because I like girl things and I was dressed like a girl, she/her. Today I'm a boy, he/him and tomorrow I'm agender they/them." This last one makes me think of people with DID. I also worry because you know what happens if someone dies? They get an autopsy which means an examination of a body post-mortem, they look at the body and say this is a man with this characteristics and they look for the ID, now you think they look at the body and say "this one is non-binary, has the body of one."? No. They look to ID a man or woman with the characteristics of the body. For the non-binary genders to be recognized by the government would be as useless as putting our favorite flower, why do it at all?

• Your ID doesn't ask your gender, it asks your sex.

I am a woman but I don't like girly things, I never liked barbies or dresses, I liked more boys clothes and my attitude was more like a boy, I always said I wanted to be a boy, with time I discovered it wasn't that I wanted to be a boy, I wanted the freedom that being a boy would give me: The right to NOT wear clothes that are skin tight to "show my curves", the right to play a sport like football instead of "playing house", the right to go out of my house without makeup and still even though I am already an adult (really, none of my friends ever go out without makeup, they get really anxious and keep saying they look awful, like, really? That's your face! Your boyfriend never wears makeup!!), etc.. If I were of this nonbinary thinking, I would believe I am a boy because that's how boys behave, that's following stereotypes. No, I don't stop being a woman. Could my gender identity be more male than female? Yes, that doesn't make me "a guy", that makes me a woman with masculine characteristics, STILL A WOMAN.

• The fuck you think you doing

You cant just make up 76 genders and expect people to accept it. I can just simply say im jesus and by their logic you must respect my gender but you dont have to call me nessaiah its your right to free speech to call yourself whatever the fuck you want but its my right to not believe you and i dont care about this stupidity called non binary people so long as they dont try to force their ideals onto me i am a man but i dont have to have you validate. The sheer fact that you need validation proves how weak minded you are. So no non binary shouldnt be recognized by the government. Do you think we should recognize every claim made without evidence. If so put on your tin foil hats because apparently the apocalypse is happening.

• This is just getting ridiculous...

I sexually identify as an attack helicopter, so does that mean I'm an attack helicopter? You are born as a male or female (or in some rare cases, both in hemaphrodite, but even then they usually will choose one). If gender is not binary, the word trans is useless then. Oh, and lastly GENDER IS NOT A SOCIAL CONSTRUCT!

• Non-Binary Gender Identity is not real

There are only two genders, Male and Female. I don't care who you are or what you look like, you can identify as either and I'll treat you the same and call you "He" or "She". But when you say you're neither it's complete bullshit, there is not possible scientific or psychological way that anyone could ever identify as non-binary. And to have the government ever acknowledge it is unacceptable, that's like Congress passing a bill that protects any unicorns discovered under law.

• If gender is a meaningless social construct to you, going by your biological sex shouldn't be an issue.

Gender is an identity, not a mood. That being said, I believe that transgender people shouldn't be broken into their own "gender" just because their sex doesn't reflect their indentity. Claiming your gender is fluid because you don't follow all the stereotypes for one gender is just identifying those stereotypes as an essential part of the gender. I'm female, I identify as a women, I wear dresses and enjoy shocking my friends when they realize I drive an enormous black truck that I feel no need to garnish with pink bumper stickers. Stereotypes are something you can be free from, possibly even a gender, but identity is defined as "the condition of being oneself or itself and not another" so as long as these two "labels" that are part of most people's identities exist, and you don't give yourself one, they'll go by the nearest thing to avoid pronoun confusion, which will be your physical sex. Better that then being awkwardly identified as "it" when your friends recall something you experienced together and can't remember if you felt you were a man or a women that day.