Do you think old generation cartoons are better then the new ?

Asked by: IceClimbers
  • I believe that older cartoons are better for kids

I thunk this because when I was young and I watched powerpuff girls, Ben 10, or samurai Jack there was enough action and violence to be honest and be somewhat truthful as to how the world works, violence is a fact a life it is going to happen and it is going to look bloody. Not just that but also that there was a moral lesson to be learned from every episode some new shows do that but very few. I remember at the end of a power puff girls episode they learned about certain values showing that for all their power and responsibilities they are still children who learn about the world as they live and as a kid I learned with them.

• Old cartoons are better but...

Don't get me wrong, I can argue all day and say old cartoons like Ed, Edd, and Eddy or The Flinstones, and so on will always be the best. But I'm not gonna say some new cartoons are all bad. Like Steven Universe, We Bare Bears, and Gumball, those are really cool shows. In my opinion, I still agree though that old cartoons had a lot of meaning to it and have things we could learn from in them. As of now, some new cartoons like Teen Titans, have nothing to learn from nor is anything ever taken seriously and its just a lot of stubborness in it all.

• Classics never die

Mic drop.... The fact that this is being debated today proves the point. It's quite the blanket statement to say all are better than today's because not all are better than they are today those we still see mentioned, hear of and/or watch, etc. are classics and classics never die. How many cartoons in the past ten years will be remembered less those copied and then modernized of the greatest ones ever made.

• Yes they are

I'm an animation student and its clear that older cartoons are more detailed graphics wise. Teen titans go even made a joke in an episode about how bad their animation is because they're aware of how they've dumbed it down. Plus the humour in new cartoons is the same in every show; its the same cliche ideas in all shows.

• Old Cartoons are the Great

I love the old cartoons because they were funny, had a life lesson beautiful graphics and amazing characters. The new cartoons r just old cartoons remade in a horrible way, some things can't be changed they will always be with us. Even if 10 years later they put back a remade of our fav cartoon it's not the same, e.G The Powerpuff Girls. The old Powerpuff Girls, Buttercup was much tougher n awesome but now she's a softy. Plz bring back our beloved cartoons

• This isn't an opinion anymore, it's a fact

This isn't even an opinion anymore, this is just a fact. Older cartoons are just better. This isn't because of me growing up when the 90s cartoons were playing. Why do you think the older cartoons are beginning to show again on the channels? Or that stars are coming back to make sequels to the original shows (even if they don't work out in the end). There was even a commercial advertising that the 90s are All That including the pun using the All That title. There are only a handful of the new shows that I am okay with my nieces watching, but they are very few, with some being the Loud House, Gumball, Paw Patrol, Bubble Guppies. You have to think about this. Every single cartoon looks exactly the same now because everything is done on the computer. I understand some of the old cartoons were also done on a computer but if you showed me the silhouette of any of them , I would be able to identify them. The old cartoons were original, they had original ideas and each show had its own creative team and people working behind it. I just feel like the newer cartoons are lazy with clever things such as puns, people who are dumb for comedy relief and etc. Now the Loud House would fit in with the 90s cartoon because it actually entertaining to watch. This isn't an opinion anymore, everything they advertise has been for the old shows and there's been a bunch of shows that have been rebooted or are now getting their long deserved movies because the new ones aren't stepping up to the plate. I keep hearing people talk about backstories and plotlines. There are none in any cartoon that isn't met to be a continuous series like Avatar the Last Airbender. There is simply a summary of the show and that is the basis. Kids do not need a complicated plot line, it's just a cartoon. My biggest pet peeves is the lack of theme songs. WHERE THE HELL ARE THE THEME SONGS? A two second instrumental welcome note is not a theme song. Some of the best 90s cartoons are still the best because they had theme songs that children could hear and know what show it was. Plus, it provided that little bit of excitement because you were able to sing along before the show actually started. AS I said, Loud House would be great in the 90s because it actually has a theme song. I have living proof that the old cartoons (early 2000s, 90s and back) were better. My neices don't ever pay attention watching any of the new shows except Gumball and Loud House. However, when I put on the powerpuff girls for myself to watch, they were hooked five minutes in. Then they discovered the remake, and they didn't like it. I didn't tell them I was watching the original, that remake itself wasn't anything good

• I'm 16 and I love the older shows

I always loved to watch the older shows and I cant believe that the newer generation loves shows like teen titans go and have never seen the original. They almost had a come back with regular show but they ended it and made teen titans go! Come on cartoon network.

• Back when kids cartoons where for kids... Not adults!

Back in the days kids cartoons, for the most part, looked cleaner and had a more classic "Disney" look. Honestly, visually new cartoons such as "Adventure Time," "Teen Titans GO" & "Regular Show" just look cheep and overly artsy. Yes there are a few such as "The Legend of Korra" and "The Boondocks" are very well drawn, but these are few and fare between.

I agree shows like "Pink and The Brain" plots are simple and pretty every episode is the same thing over and over again; where most couldn't tell if an episode was from season one or season three. However, that's part of the beauty and enjoyment of the show, where when you watch the show you know exactly what your getting yourself into and you can watch any episode and not be lost.

True, for adult's that might seen dull, where we feel we need more of a story and characters that are more developed and who have layers. BUT keep in mind, do kids (especially younger kids) need or even want shows that are as complex as "The Lord of the Ring" or "The Godfather"? The answer is NO!!!

So in short, what's better to make a "kids" cartoon that a kids can get lost in and just enjoy. Or a "kids" cartoon that doesn't have enough depth for an adult?

• I would say yes probably

Maybe it's just nostagia. I feel like the cartoons like Uncle Grandpa and The Regular Show are purely idiotic. But my mom thought the same thing about CatDog, Ren and Stimpy, etc. I'm like my mom now since I'm a mom myself lol

But Adventure Time is pretty good. Although I don't really watch tv.

• Nostalgia blinds people

Everyone overlooks new cartoons because they grew up on the older ones, it's like playing an old game and loving it so much that you wish you could forget about it just to play it again. Nostalgia is the factor that makes everyone like the older cartoons more. Today animators can do a better job, there are better animating programs and a lot of the times they do a pretty good job. This is all my opinion, don't have to agree.

• I'm actually on both sides on this one but hear me out

Animation wise, the old cartoons are better. Now, let's talk about cartoons in general. Alot of people on the "YES" side of the conversation keep on saying "Cartoons back in the day had better stories" and stuff without even considering the new episodes of Adventure Time, Steven Universe, etc. Another one complained why there are no theme songs when Adventure Time, Steven Universe, Star Butterfly, etc. have theirs. Another complain was they lost their "fun" to the point where kids just become bored. I think they overlooked Gumball, Loud House, etc. Alot of the people who answered "YES" compare old cartoons to shows like Teen Titans GO or Power Puff Girls 2017. That's not even fair. Don't let nostalgia get to you. Don't tell us that it's a fact. It's an opinion.

• Old Cartoons are the Great

• If thre is something new just let it

I am a kid and I always watch the cartoons the older cartoons that I still watch I was still in kindergarten sucks when there were new cartoons I liked its more funny than the old ones and also the graphics are even better the only thing you other people don't like new cartoons is because you watched it when you are kid but there's allot of changes over the years so please just let it

• Charchter personality and backstory

If you have ever seen newer cartoons, such as we bare bears, there are more backstory then in an entire series of rocko's mordern life.The reason why newer cartoons are better is because it tolerates more things then older cartoons, for example Steven universe which tolerates lesibans.You wouldn't really find any old cartoons that were pc.
    ALSO THE FEELS.

• Oh my god

OLD CARTOONS ARE LAME.
    PERIOD.
    Now i gotta add more words in order to post this smh smh smh smh smh smh smh smh smh smh smh smh smh smh smh smh smh smh smh smh smh smh smh smh smh smh smh smh smh smh smh smh smh smh

• Newer cartoons may seem less interesting, because you have grown up.

Honestly, nostalgia can make cartoons from back then seem more interesting, but if you really think about it, it's because you were younger. Many POPULAR new cartoons actually have interesting plots and well thought out backstories. MOST POPULAR 90s cartoons didn't really have any of this, but were just fun to watch, which is okay.

• That's a pretty subjective point of view.

Whenever I hear people complaining about new vs old cartoons it gets pretty deep into the opinion area. Either way both eras had good cartoons. But thinking about it without nostalgia, the current cartoons have a better quality to them. Newer cartoons can have bigger and more complex characters and story arcs that older cartoons could. Excluding cartoons like Regular show, shows like Steven Universe can show us prominent issues. They have important representation of characters of color and different sexualities that older cartoons would never dare to explore. I also find that newer cartoons try to have a meaning behind them without dumbing it down. We don't have the same "cartoons are for children" outlook that we've always seemed to have. Current cartoons will offten and can have an adult audience because current cartoons are made to be like that. Cartoons will continue to grow as time moves on and hopefully continue to get better, because thats a part of life. The longer people work on things the better they will get.