Do you think parents should have a say over what music their child listens to?

Asked by: InternetKid
  • Of course. It's their job to do it.

I am not a parent, just past my teen period of life (ha ha) and yet, I have to say yes. Yes to parents having as much right to have a say over what music their child listens to. I agree to what Josh_b say, stating that children aren't being born with values, they are meant to be taught and guided to be brought up as a respectable individual who could contribute their energy and thoughts in the society. It's practically the parents job and right to do so. So why are certain people against this? Nowadays, songs aren't as "innocent" as they used to be, if I could say it that way. There's not much moral values imbededd within most lyrics that could actually become useful and moral to the children to listen to. How would we all feel if we have a younger sibling or maybe our own children, singing songs about sex, drugs, plenty of colourful words we ourselves sometimes don't know of etc. etc?? I'd be speechless if any of my siblings did that and deep inside, I would feel extremely guilty and irresponsible. Do we want our children to hum to songs like this? Of course, they can have the freedom to pick songs but when they're older and matured enough to reason with what is suitable or not. But before that time comes, it is the parents' to guide and pick which songs their children could listen to. As for those who say, it is their children's right of freedom to listen to whatever songs they want and that songs are one of the ways individuals could express themselves, but aren't children a little too young to listen to such songs? Do we, as reasonable adults want to tarnish whatever is left of our children and younger generations' innocence to these songs? Or is this the era when moral values could be kicked to the side and let certain individuals to misuse things like "freedom" and "rights" over everything? Your opinions are most welcome. :)

• People are not born with values.

A child doesn't have the capacity to understand the words they are listening to because they don't have the experience to make the abstract references that are present in certain songs. I stopped listening to ICP when my son started singing my axe is my buddy and changed the whole genre of music I listen to when my daughters started asking me to take them to the candy shop.

• Yes, they should

Parents are to raise their children in the manner they think best. It's completely within their rights to decide their children can't hang out with certain people, or listen to certain music, if they think they're doing what's right for the child. As already pointed out, many songs talk about drugs, sex, even rape. Are you saying parents shouldn't be able to stop their 6 year old from listening to that sort of thing? Because that's where this argument immediately went for me, and I hope the answer is no.

• Of course they should

Parents are responsible for their children until they turn 18 or move out of home and they do have a right to control what their children view and listen too.

So many songs contain swearing, sexual references or reference to drugs and crime, this is a very damaging thing for kids to be listening too.

• No They Shouldn't

Children express their feelings and who they are through many strange and wonderful things. For example many choose to draw their feelings, write about their feelings, or ponder on them feelings. Music can be what define our inner selves, and what better communication to have with a child than through the music that they listen to?

A child is in the process of developing who they are, and music can be a way of finding themselves aswell. Without music, what could children connect to? Music makes you happy, makes you question, and also makes you feel not so alone. So if many adults who disagree with this question, maybe they should and take time out to read the lyrics of some of the music. Because if you look deep enough into the lyrics, there is usually a deep meaning behind it.

Overall I believe music helps and defines each and every human being, so why should children have that privilege taken away from them.

• I don't think so

I believe that music is a way that any individual can express them selves. It acts as a coping mechanism for most. I can only imagine if my parents started to tell me what I could and couldn't listen to, I wouldn't be very happy. Granted that some music may not be appropriate but to someone in the world the lyrics to the song mean something to them.

• No they should not

Music is a way to express yourself and taking that away is one of the worst things to do to a child. If you take it away they will find worse things to do o express themselves that will make there parents mad. And it violates freedom of speech and expression bill of rights US constitution.

• It's what defines you.

Parents shouldn't pick their children's music choice because it can really impact who the child wants to be. Even if your child does listen to explicit music it doesn't change that they have a good heart. As long as your child meets your expectations (which all children should no matter what) they should receive unconditional love and be able to pick what song they want to listen too, explicit or not.

• Music is an Outlet

Being a teen as of now, I can guarantee that without music, specifically my kind of music, I would not possibly be the same kind and caring person I am. What kind of music do I listen to? Heavy Metal, obviously. I listen to Metallica, Tool, Slayer, and Slipknot, and I believe that they have collectively shown me a greater outlook on life. I believe I have the priveledge of saying that heavy metal changed, and just might have saved my life.

• No they should not

As it is the child's choice ultimately and parents ahould not interfere with that . I mean it's all part of growing up . To explore what he/she like or don't like . You can't stop someone from doing something they like and can't force someone to change their style/way of life just because you don't approve of it

• Its really annoying.

You shouldnt infringe on what your child listens to, its just expression. Im 14 and i personally hate it, and get anxiety over my parents searching my phone, spying on me, and judging what i listen to, so one day i got tired of it and changed my phone password, and it makes children dislike you, and be afraid to be judged by you, and could make them nervous or anxious, i dont think you should.

• Never would this be okay.

Parents have the right tell tell their kids who they can and can't hangout with. They have the right to say what they can go do or see, but they should not be allowed to tell their child what music to listen to. Music taste is different for every type of person. If my mom told me not to listen to rap or alternative, I don't know what I would do. Musicians like Kendrick Lamar, and G-Eazy, or bands such as Arctic Monkeys, Bad Suns, The Neighborhood, and so many more I could put down have helped me through tough times in my life. Without them I don't even know if I would be here today. Parents are okay too guide over most of their childrens lives, but music should be a choice of an individual, not their parents.

• Parents should not be in control of the music their children listen to.

If I listened to what my mom would want me to (the horrid sugar coated pop blared on the radio), I would be miserable. What I listen to has much deeper meanings than what my mom would want me to listen to. For example, just compare Hold On Till May by Pierce The Veil to Happy by Pharrel Williams. Different people have different tastes in music and they should be allowed that. After all, sheltering your child and being over-protective to the point they can't listen to a song they like because you don't like it is just teaching them to be secretive and want to get out of the house faster.

• No they shouldn't.

I don't get why people always say parents need to guide or control their children. No, they don't. They're not your little slaves to do exactly as you want. You were the one to force life upon them, and as such it's your responsibility to teach them how to survive in the world we currently live in. Where they go from their is entirely up to them, just as their lives are entirely their to live.

Diqiucun_Cunmin says2014-03-22T10:17:26.043
It depends on the age of the child. A small child is unable to distinguish between good and bad music, and the parents should avoid them from being led astray by detrimental music like heavy metal. However, once the child is able to tell, he/she should be left alone.