Do you think prayer is a placebo (yes) or a genuine way to communicate with the almighty (no)?

• Never Talks Back

I believe the action of prayer is a very passive practice act, but more than likely it is a placebo effect. Any time I try to imagine an almighty entity trying to listen to everyone in the world who is praying I get a picture that tells me the whole idea is quite comical.

• Prayer is a placebo.

Prayer is a placebo simply because there is no talking to god. There hasn't been a person on earth who spoke to god, apparently. Tell a court room you spoke to god, and you are going to be looked at as a crazy. It's a placebo the same way meditation is a placebo.

• Yes there is something out there.

When a person prays they are making a connection to something greater, whether it is psychological or even just talking about issues in a sincere fashion to themselves. Whether or not it is a placebo or not is tough to debate because of the varying concepts of divinity, and god. But I feel it is not a placebo because you truly feel like your making a connection.

• God is out there.

When I pray, I get answers in ways one would not expect. God won't tell you in the sense that you and I may communicate, but in the sense that he helps us through our problems and makes sure we find the light. Everyone in the "Yes" column deserves a prayer, as i believe they need God's love to enter their hearts. God bless.

• Never Talks Back

• Prayer and belief in prayer are genuine

Since faith is so subjective it is hard to measure. I personally believe in the power of prayer and that it is one of the ways to communicate with God. Again, it is a subjective thing. For example a 2006 study found that patients who knew prayers were offered for them had no measurable increase in their rate of recovery after bypass surgery. Even so, I would guess that several of them were comforted by prayer.