Do you think private companies should disclose a citizen's Internet records in order for police to quell civil disturbances?

• Private Companies Disclosed

I personally think that Americans value their privacy. When a person signs up with an Internet provider they expect that their information will be private and secure. They assume that Internet companies are ethical and will maintain there confidentiality. If Internet companies constantly abuse this trust, Americans will consider them unethical and look for other service providers.

• That's a breach of trust.

No, I do not think that private companies should disclose a citizen's internet records in order for police to quell civil disturbances, because there is a balance of interests. The person has a privacy interest in what things they look at on the internet, and I cannot think of any civil disturbance that could be quelled by telling the world what someone is looking at on the internet.

• No They Shouldn't

I believe these suggestions are wrong for many reasons. First, I don't believe private companies should have access to my Internet records. What I do on their computer is one thing, but what I do with my computer and my Internet connection is something completely different. Second, civil disturbances have helped forward a lot of civil equalities that we have today, without them where would we be? So, in the end I don't think police should have the right to quell civil disturbances based off of this information either.

• Internet companies have an ethical obligation to maintain a citizens privacy.

Americans value their privacy. When a person signs up with an Internet provider they expect that their information will be private and secure. They assume that Internet companies are ethical and will maintain there confidentiality. If Internet companies constantly abuse this trust, Americans will consider them unethical and look for other service providers.

• No, private companies should not disclose a citizen's Internet records in order for police to quell civil disturbances.

I think the idea of having a private company disclose a citizen's internet use for matters not concerning illegal activity is absurd. I think the only time a person's internet activity should be disclosed is if they are suspected to be involved in criminal activities or terrorism. Other than that, this idea would give too much power to the government.