Do you think Rep. Michele Bachmann's 2014 mention of the Belarus as a 'nation friendly with the Soviet Union' reveals her ignorance of foreign affairs?

• Michele Bachman is ignorant on foreign affairs

Michele Bachman ran for president and should know better than to think that the Soviet Union still exists. Quite possibly this was just a slip of the tongue, but if it was not, then Bachman needs to catch up with the last twenty years of European history. It is sad that our elected officials can be so ignorant.

• It only takes one quote.

I concur that that anyone could make mistakes with what they say, but if you don't know who your enemies are, then that's a problem. Also, there is something very wrong with that quote. Why? Belarus was directly a part of the Soviet Union. Belarus was not an independent country until the Soviet Union collapsed.

Saying something like that is like saying: "California is a nation friendly with the United States."

• She knows her stuff

No, I do not think that she is ignorant at all about foreign affairs, and she knows what she is talking about. She knows a lot about politics, and she knows what other countries are doing and how they feel about each other. She is not ignorant at all, or she wouldnt be in office.

• People make slip ups

Everybody today loves to analyze every single sentence and word public figures say and even what they may be thinking, but her comments could easily have just been a slight mis speak. Older people who grew up used to the Soviet Union may fall back into old patterns, especially with things they don't often speak about.

• Not One Statement

I do not believe Rep. Michele Bachmann's 2014 mention of the Belarus as a "nation friendly with the Soviet Union" reveals her ignorance of foreign affairs. I do not believe one statement can define a persons ignorance on each and every topic dealing with foreign affairs. Secondly, with so many countries and intertwined histories, I would say it is impossible for one person to be an expert on every single topic.

• No not really.

I think that she could possibly be ignorant, but that one quote "nation friendly with Soviet Union" does not justify saying that. Some people have their own beliefs and sometimes it may make them sound ignorant but there could be a justified explanation as to why they feel and think that way.